Looking ahead to 2017

ChuckS

There are two months left in the season and a lot can happen to change what our projected team could look like for next year. There are potentially very few holes:

SP Tillman

SP Gausman

SP Bundy

SP Miley

SP Gallardo

Bullpen: Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens, OPEN, OPEN, OPEN

IF: Davis, Schoop, Machado, Hardy, Flaherty?

OF: Jones, Kim, Rickard, OPEN, OPEN

C: Joseph, OPEN

I can see Worley being brought back and one of the other bullpen spots being filled by an organizational guy like Wright or Wilson.

Mancini and Sisco could move onto the 25 man roster with Trumbo and Wieters likely gone. One or both could very well be brought back, but I would lean towards both of them being gone.

A lefty reliever and an outfielder could be our only offseason targets. Maybe another starter if Miley and/or Gallardo look really bad down the stretch. Josh Reddick could be a fit for RF.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just talking to my buddies about this the other day....I agree that RF, assuming we QO Trumbo and he walks (which I would prefer), is the only big hole. With those five (assuming, knock on every piece of wood in the eastern time zone, everyone stays healthy) and Ubaldo inevitably looming, we won't target an SP.

Really, this is the offseason to lock up Manny, and possibly Tillman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just talking to my buddies about this the other day....I agree that RF, assuming we QO Trumbo and he walks (which I would prefer), is the only big hole. With those five (assuming, knock on every piece of wood in the eastern time zone, everyone stays healthy) and Ubaldo inevitably looming, we won't target an SP.

There are no FA SP to target. Sisco may not be ready. I think they sign a stop gap C like Hundley or Castro.

Over who?

I think he's traded after August 1 or DFA'd.

I was only half joking, but I don't see anyone taking him in trade and I don't see them going DFA. They have stuck it out this long. Stash him in the bullpen, spot start when needed, maybe work his way into the rotation if somebody goes down.

There are no FA SP to target. Sisco may not be ready. I think they sign a stop gap C like Hundley or Castro.

Sure. Which is fortuitous because, as was my point, we don't need to target an SP (again, assuming relative health). That's a major change from the last few years.

Agree on a stopgap catcher.

Over who?

I think he's traded after August 1 or DFA'd.

When has Angelos ever shown the inclination of eating money like that? Hell, the Orioles have refused to get rid of a number of terrible veteran relievers over the years because of Angelos' unwillingness to eat money. Remember Kevin Gregg and Danys Baez? Ubaldo will be on the roster next year.

Depending on the cost, I would love the Orioles to go after Michael Saunders. He's killed it at Camden Yards over the years. Also, I want the Orioles to sign a defensive-minded catcher who's good at handling a pitching staff.

Depending on the cost, I would love the Orioles to go after Michael Saunders. He's killed it at Camden Yards over the years. Also, I want the Orioles to sign a defensive-minded catcher who's good at handling a pitching staff.

I'd like Saunders or Reddick. I would like for Sisco or Mancini to DH if need be, but catching wise I think it's Joseph and Pena if Wieters doesn't come back

Archived