240/296/387/684 may mean no QO for Wieters

wildcard

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see us taking him for one more year at that rate to get Cisco ready. I don't think he should take it, if offered. He will soon wear down and needs some more security. Wouldn't want to take it for one more year only to get booted the next year, if he doesn't have another good season.

Seems less likely with Buck catching him into the ground.

I find the use of Wieters/Joseph very strange lately.

When Wieters hurt his foot, Caleb caught 6 games in a row, went 7 for 20 and we won 4 out of 6, including the last 4 in a row. Also, the starting pitching was outstanding in those last 4 games.

Since Wieters foot has been "better" (he still appears a bit hobbled), he's started 10 of the 11 games. And during this time, Wieters concluded an absolutely horrid July where his OPS was .327 and he looked tentative behind the plate; save for the outstanding throw on Wednesday night in the 9th inning.

Bottom line, I know Caleb has had a rough year with the stick but a bit of regular playing time and he started to come around. Combine that with the team generally pitching better when Joseph catches and I think Buck should be balancing out the playing time a bit.

The O's will not offer the QO, he will go on the open market and end up signing a 1-year deal to try and increase his value for the next offseason.

I've become so much less impressed with Wieters' defense this year. The guy calls a good game and has a precision cannon for an arm, but at what other catching related defensive tools does he excel?

The O's will not offer the QO, he will go on the open market and end up signing a 1-year deal to try and increase his value for the next offseason.

I've become so much less impressed with Wieters' defense this year. The guy calls a good game and has a precision cannon for an arm, but at what other catching related defensive tools does he excel?

I'm not so sure about that. Matt is what he is with the bat at this point. A .700ish OPS guy. I don't see that improving as he gets deeper into this 30's.

He's still considered a plus defender. That should be enough to get him a decent deal. If he finishes strong I think he could do as well as 4/60. He would have to finish north of .750 IMO to be worth throwing the QO at.

I'm not so sure about that. Matt is what he is with the bat at this point. A .700ish OPS guy. I don't see that improving as he gets deeper into this 30's.

He's still considered a plus defender. That should be enough to get him a decent deal. If he finishes strong I think he could do as well as 4/60. He would have to finish north of .750 IMO to be worth throwing the QO at.

I'm not so much thinking of his overall capabilities, more about the trajectory of his last few years. He may take a 1-year deal someplace to increase his value, something similar to what Cruz did before signing with Seattle.

I'm not so much thinking of his overall capabilities, more about the trajectory of his last few years. He may take a 1-year deal someplace to increase his value, something similar to what Cruz did before signing with Seattle.

This year was the 1-year deal to increase his value. I think he will feel some pressure to get some guaranteed dollars. If he doesn't have a good year next year, he will be going into 2018 as a 31 year old with 1000 ML baseball games on his arm and knees, mediocre bat, and history of TJ surgery. Hard to imagine him making more money by playing hard to get this year.

He's not Nelson Cruz though. He's not anymore likely to perform better next year than he did this year.

THIS was the one year deal where had a chance to increase his value and he hasn't really done that so far. He needs to take whatever he can get a this point from a long term deal standpoint.

Archived