Kim tonight

Frobby

Kim has hit into 4 DP's all year. I'd hardly call him a DP machine.

To be clear, my OP wasn't intended as a general swipe at Kim. Just an observation that he had a particularly feeble night at the plate.

Yeah...he didn't seem to swing with authority. It looked like he was just trying to make contact and not getting a good swing at all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah...he didn't seem to swing with authority. It looked like he was just trying to make contact and not getting a good swing at all.

In the more important at bats, he's messing himself up, gets off balanced, and that messes up his swing. He's got to get that balance of being relaxed and focused at the same time - or his numbers will continue to decline.

Kim has hit into 4 DP's all year. I'd hardly call him a DP machine.

To be clear, my OP wasn't intended as a general swipe at Kim. Just an observation that he had a particularly feeble night at the plate.

I think Kim's AB are an indication of how the OAK SP was throwing. He is the best situational hitter on the team but even he was pounding the ball in the dirt. Sometimes a pitcher, any ,when he's on his game is tough to solve.

Kim's second to last AB (against Hendriks) after Jones swung at ball 2 on a 1-0 count to pop up with a runner on 2nd was actually a good AB.

He kept getting pounded inside on 93-94 mph fastballs...and he kept fouling them off the other way. He was adjusting his swing to try to take it opposite way. Think he just ended up getting the swing too quick around on that last pitch (which ended up being low and middle of the plate I recall) which caused the hit back to the pitcher.

Kim's second to last AB (against Hendriks) after Jones swung at ball 2 on a 1-0 count to pop up with a runner on 2nd was actually a good AB.

He kept getting pounded inside on 93-94 mph fastballs...and he kept fouling them off the other way. He was adjusting his swing to try to take it opposite way. Think he just ended up getting the swing too quick around on that last pitch (which ended up being low and middle of the plate I recall) which caused the hit back to the pitcher.

Do you fell that his inclusion in the lineup was part of the failure last night?

Do you fell that his inclusion in the lineup was part of the failure last night?

That was a team effort of futility. Kim has been one of the more consistent players on the O's for the entire season. So willing to give him a pass.

I'm more worried about Schoop, Trump, Davis, Wieters, Reimold, Flaherty, and Joseph all being offensive blackholes for this team.

4 out of the 9 regulars are terrible right now. 1 of which was terrible save for a couple games (Machado). It's been essentially Jones, Kim, Hardy and Alvarez carrying the team lately.

That was a team effort of futility. Kim has been one of the more consistent players on the O's for the entire season. So willing to give him a pass.

I'm more worried about Schoop, Trump, Davis, Wieters, Reimold, Flaherty, and Joseph all being offensive blackholes for this team.

4 out of the 9 regulars are terrible right now. 1 of which was terrible save for a couple games (Machado). It's been essentially Jones, Kim, Hardy and Alvarez carrying the team lately.

I found today's Fangraphs piece on Kim to be enlightening. Closest to a real interview with him I have seen.

Why not make him the DH.

Good question. Why not? Even if he is a pitcher. I remember a pitcher who batted .300 alot. He pinch hit all the time in games he wasn't pitching. He even led his team in batting once.

He was an all star pitcher. And he is in the hall of fame. Any else know who I'm talking about? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I didn't get to see last night's game. Did they mention why Pearce started over Kim in left? Was it better matchup numbers against Scherzer?

Facing lots of righties and Buck wants to get Pearce going so they alternate for now.

Archived