Does Chris Davis play left field tonight?

wildcard

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wrong again. Crush does play outfield and Pearce does play first.

In the original lineup, Davis was at first, Pearce was the designated hitter, and Mark Trumbo the right fielder. Trumbo is now the designated hitter.

Showalter wants to get Pearce in the lineup against right-handers, and because he hasn’t started since Aug. 7 because of a forearm injury, is eager to get him back in the lineup.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/baltimore-orioles/orioles-chris-davis-gets-first-start-2016-right-field

Why is he playing first?Can he throw to get a guy at second?
And the thought is that Orioles manager Buck Showalter probably wanted a little stronger defense in right with a Boston Red Sox lineup that has four left-handed hitters and a switch-hitter. Those guys are more prone to pull the ball to right field.

Of course, after the game we may learn that Trumbo is dealing with something physical and is just getting off his feet for a day.

But, for now, the best guess is that Showalter sees this as a slightly better defensive alignment — that Davis over Trumbo in right is a bigger improvement than Davis over Pearce at first.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/08/16/os-make-defensive-lineup-switch-tuesday-chris-davis-right-field/

Just an observation from watching one play: Davis looks way more smooth going back on the ball than Trumbo.

Davis is just a better athlete and probably should have been playing RF all season. He's been adequate in limited opportunities in the past, but with a whole year to concentrate on that position who knows how much better he could have gotten.

All moot points though.

Trumbo has an issue obviously.

Roch late update. He said he wanted to give Trumbo a day off his feet, but twice he said he wanted a chance to talk to him. Trumbo as he's DHing in the dugout. I got the feeling he wanted Trumbo to watch Davis, who is fundamentally sound at least. And Buck talking to Trumbo about it.

I asked Showalter about the lineup changes, with Pearce going to first base, Chris Davis to right field and Mark Trumbo to the role of designated hitter.

"I wanted to talk to some people, look at some things," he replied. "Chris and I talked about it about a week ago on that trip. It?s kind of a day off. I don?t mean it like he was just standing out there, but wanted to get him in right field. Wanted to get Trumbo off the field and wanted to make sure Steve was good enough physically to play first base. We couldn't do any of those things until we got through batting practice.

"Steve was good with first and Chris liked the idea of playing right and I know Trumb appreciated getting off his legs for a day. Had to wait to cross the t's and dot the i's. Plus, wanted to make sure we had something to talk about."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/08/tillman-scratched-from-wednesday-start-with-sore-shoulder.html

Archived