Why I Find It Painful to Watch the O's Lately

brianod

Davis will at least take a walk, even with as bad a year he is having Davis is still third on the team in OBP. I'm convinced if Schoop came up with the Red Sox, he would not hack at everything and be an all star player. Schoop is good, I think he could be better.

Manny Machado would probably be the best player in baseball if he was on some other teams.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People aren't going to want to hear that, but that is a good point. Young player come up to Jones asking, what's the best way to get out of a slump? Jones' advice, "just swing your way out of it."

Again - I don't think Schoop would be approaching his at-bats any differently were he a Red Sock. Look at Billy Beane's track record, for example. He didn't look for a hitting coach who could instill plate discipline. He looks for players who exhibit it naturally.

If plate discipline were that teachable... I think every team would have disciplined line-ups.

It comes down to values... what does DD value in a player, a hitter? It's hard for me to tell. But it seems like he values power first, defense second... and plate discipline not much at all. Although Kim would be the exception.

If you really want to see our overall plate discipline improve, you'll have to wait until the roster turns over.

That's a nice thought, but it ain't going to happen. From what I can tell, plate discipline is like a good singing voice - a God-given thing. Even a poor singer can improve. But you're not going to turn Tiny Tim into Pavarotti. I could be wrong. There are some true baseball guys on this board who might be able to clarify or correct me here.

I agree with the current crop of players. I'm hoping for the future the O's change their organizational philosophy. Kim has a good approach to hitting and was glad to see him get the start against Price tonight. I want find out if Kim can play everyday. Also need more team speed as webbrick pointed out. It has been very hard to watch the O's feast or famine offense.

Again - I don't think Schoop would be approaching his at-bats any differently were he a Red Sock. Look at Billy Beane's track record, for example. He didn't look for a hitting coach who could instill plate discipline. He looks for players who exhibit it naturally.

If plate discipline were that teachable... I think every team would have disciplined line-ups.

It comes down to values... what does DD value in a player, a hitter? It's hard for me to tell. But it seems like he values power first, defense second... and plate discipline not much at all. Although Kim would be the exception.

If you really want to see our overall plate discipline improve, you'll have to wait until the roster turns over.

I don't mind power first, defense second and plate discipline third. Especially in Camden Yards. But, if you look at our defense, our outfield is abysmal, Hardy is slowing down, Schoop has a cannon but average range at best. We are a below average defensive team.

I guess that would explain why he was trying to get rid of Kim.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all comes down to roster construction.

Pedro Alvarez, Mark Trumbo, JJ Hardy are all 300ish OBP guys with triple digit strikeouts and double digit homers (Hardy used to, at least).

If you look at Schoop (career OBP 285), Jones (career OBP 319), they're also triple digit strikeout guys

Wieters (career OBP 318) strikes out > 120 per 162

Chris Davis, Manny Machado and Kim are the only 3 that have decent/good OBP.

When 6 out of 9 of your hitters are striking out triple digits or more and don't get OBP...and most their value is hitting homers...you have a 1 dimensional team.

That's a nice thought, but it ain't going to happen. From what I can tell, plate discipline is like a good singing voice - a God-given thing. Even a poor singer can improve. But you're not going to turn Tiny Tim into Pavarotti. I could be wrong. There are some true baseball guys on this board who might be able to clarify or correct me here.

Davis has improved his BB% every year from 2011 (5.2%) to present (14.1%). But for the most part I agree, if you haven't learned or developed plate discipline by now you're likely not going to.

I posted about plate discipline in June during a 5 game winning streak and was belittles and ridiculed. People don't want to see the truth and will search high and low to find one advanced matrix to say this is a good team. It's not! Average at best. Coolbaugh would be fired immediately if I had the power.

This offense needs to carry the team because the starters (tillman exclude) are average or below average. That's a lot of pressure. As they stand they are not a hit and run team. They can't change the approach that got them to lead the league on August 15th. This is who we are. Also, isn't Kim at the plate fub to watch?

I posted about plate discipline in June during a 5 game winning streak and was belittles and ridiculed. People don't want to see the truth and will search high and low to find one advanced matrix to say this is a good team. It's not! Average at best. Coolbaugh would be fired immediately if I had the power.

Didn't some people want Crowley and Presley fired over the years? I fire Mark Quinn. Also should fire the pitching coach . :)

Geez, when are people going to stop posting this best cumulative record since 2012 BS, as if that measn something

They now have missed the playoffs two consecutive years while gutting the player developent system

Not a single minor league affiliate has a winning season. The O's will be lucky to finish 3-5 \

games over .500 The organization is a complete mess.

Geez, when are people going to stop posting this best cumulative record since 2012 BS, as if that measn something

They now have missed the playoffs two consecutive years while gutting the player developent system

Not a single minor league affiliate has a winning season. The O's will be lucky to finish 3-5 \

We're eliminated from the playoffs already? :confused:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Archived