Coolbaugh says Orioles can't rely on only homers

Going Underground

For the people who think he does and sees nothing.

"We've been terrible the second half, Coolbaugh said before Thursdays game, with the reason why ultimately proving prescient. We have not been good. We've been inconsistent, and we've had one or two guys in the lineup that have been swinging the bat well. We haven't had three or four guys that we had, like in June. That's the kind of thing where everybody's trying to feed off each other, where a lot of times this team is energized by the home run, which is somewhat detrimental."

"We've just got to find ways of energizing the club offensively in other aspects, not just the home run, he said. That can mean taking a good swing, hard swing, trying to drive the ball on a good pitch. Sometimes, were just forcing the issue and trying to create that energy with one swing of the bat. Sometimes, that kind of snowballs against you, and that's what you find against our team over the last couple years. That's the track that we fall on."

"We went through a period of May again, we had a very awful May from an offensive standpoint but this game is about wins and losses, he said. It's not about the pitching. It's about playing as a team. When we got through ruts and were not finding ways to score and get guys on base, we have to back off and again get to the point where were fighting in that at-bat and trying to fight for a good pitch, so when we do take an aggressive swing were doing it with a pitch that we can handle.

"A lot of times, when you see us make quick outs and it kind of snowballs on us, were not getting good pitches to hit. It's a swing to create the energy with a home run.'

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-home-runs-energize-orioles-but-hitting-coach-scott-coolbaugh-says-terrible-offense-can-t-rely-on-the-20160818-story.html

The problem is, it's all the team is built to do. Some folks have ripped on Coolbaugh like he's down in the dugout telling guys "We need a homer, here," every at bat.

He didn't build the roster. He didn't field a team of guys that are all boom/bust, don't walk much and have no real speed. Folks need to cut him some slack. He can only work with what he's given, and what he's given has a very particular skill set.

I believe you mean he's the only guy on the team that ever has an actual approach.

Haha. I wouldn't go that far. I think Schoop, Manny, and even JJ have had pretty good approaches for most of the year. Jones goes in spurts IMO of having great approaches and then terrible ones. Reimold usually has a good approach too, but I just don't think he has the skill anymore to capitalize as much as he used to.

Haha. I wouldn't go that far. I think Schoop, Manny, and even JJ have had pretty good approaches for most of the year. Jones goes in spurts IMO of having great approaches and then terrible ones. Reimold usually has a good approach too, but I just don't think he has the skill anymore to capitalize as much as he used to.

That's true. I was exaggerating a bit. Hardy has looked much better this year than he has lately, has really adjusted to suit what he can do nowadays.

Schoop still seems like he's trying to homer every pitch. Manny's emotions get the better of him too often, he's probably the most guilty of trying to "make something happen," and inadvertently making nothing happen at all.

I also think Alvarez has had some really good ABs. Being down 0-2 and drawing a walk after 10 pitches, things like that.

For his role, I think he is fine.

We can't expect bench guys to be 5 tool guys and play like Trout.

Giving AJ a breathing last night for a couple of innings, is pretty important.

Adam Jones 507 PA 87 Strike Outs

Chris Davis 497 PA 166 Strike OUts

I don't think Jones can be thrown in with Davis, Trumbo and Alvarez.

This is one of the reasons I hope that Buck continues to start Kim even against lefties. He has one of the best approaches on the team when he's in the box IMO.

I've not seen that at all. I'd prefer Pearce batting in those situations.

Archived