Joseph Optioned

Can_of_corn

I hate to play devils advocate, but catcher positions for 2017 is a concern.

Sisco is most likely not going to be ready for the big leagues, at least not full time. IMO

They have said they will not QO Wieters this time, and I doubt they work with Boras to for a new contract.

I dont want to beat up Caleb for his season, but he has been off behind the plate, too, not just at the plate.

Could this is be a fluke, sure, most likely it is.

But, if his career has flamed out, then unless they do some wheelin and dealin, then Pena and company is what this team will have behind the plate.

If the Orioles are saying they won't QO Wieters, they are trying to imply they will try to sign him to a multi-year contract. I do not believe the statement. I don't believe they will look to sign him multi-year. And I don't be;lieve they will not QO him. They will want to cash in on the compensatory pick they were counting on last season. Wieters has performed well enough that a few MLB teams will be willing to sign him multi-year.

As for Joseph, although various injuries -- including head injuries -- can lower testosterone production, I would think he gets tested frequently as part of follow-up to surgery. I, personally, can hardly believe he is playing MLB at all this season following that injury.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Orioles are saying they won't QO Wieters, they are trying to imply they will try to sign him to a multi-year contract. I do not believe the statement. I don't believe they will look to sign him multi-year. And I don't be;lieve they will not QO him. They will want to cash in on the compensatory pick they were counting on last season. Wieters has performed well enough that a few MLB teams will be willing to sign him multi-year.

As for Joseph, although various injuries -- including head injuries -- can lower testosterone production, I would think he gets tested frequently as part of follow-up to surgery. I, personally, can hardly believe he is playing MLB at all this season following that injury.

Just going by what the media has reported about the Orioles and Wieters.

Yes, I know, you can't believe everything that the media says, but, sometimes they do get it right.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/8/19/12556242/orioles-news-rumors-matt-wieters-qualifying-offer

I thought it would be a season ending injury once I heard that He was having surgery.

Joseph has a had a tough year to say the least.

Maybe the AB's in the minors will get him into a bit of a groove for September.

If not, I hope that he can bounce back next year.

Because Gallardo, Wilson and Wright were joys to deal with?

I don't care for the Ubaldo excuse folks are throwing around.

I don't think Ubaldo excuses his offense, but if you want to compare the two catchers defensively it has to be apples to apples. Over his career, the pitchers have done better with Caleb across the board. He has had so few opportunities with anyone other than Ubaldo that it is impossible to say anything about his defense other than andecdotes and eye tests.

Because Gallardo, Wilson and Wright were joys to deal with?

I don't care for the Ubaldo excuse folks are throwing around.

Well if catching Ubaldo wasn't that bad then why MW given a pass from catching him?

Playing sports is all about confidence. If your pitcher is getting rocked every game you call it might leak into your hitting. Plus you're only getting 3 AB's a week.

Well if catching Ubaldo wasn't that bad then why MW given a pass from catching him?

Playing sports is all about confidence. If your pitcher is getting rocked every game you call it might leak into your hitting. Plus you're only getting 3 AB's a week.

Do you think that catching Ubaldo is appreciably more taxing than catching Gallardo?

If so, why?

As for Joseph and Ubaldo. maybe Ubaldo requested Joseph? Pretty sure we don't know the specifics behind the rotation.

Just going by what the media has reported about the Orioles and Wieters.

Yes, I know, you can't believe everything that the media says, but, sometimes they do get it right.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/8/19/12556242/orioles-news-rumors-matt-wieters-qualifying-offer

I'm not maligning any media outlet; I think the Orioles are blowing smoke. And that makes sense.

But since I think there's a strong chance that a few teams may offer close to 3/30, I believe Boras would not accept a a QO of $16.1, or so. And I can't imagine letting him walk entirely without getting what they thought they were going to get last time around.

Do you think that catching Ubaldo is appreciably more taxing than catching Gallardo?

If so, why?

As for Joseph and Ubaldo. maybe Ubaldo requested Joseph? Pretty sure we don't know the specifics behind the rotation.

I find it taxing to watch the guy on TV. I can't imagine having to catch for him.

I'm not maligning any media outlet; I think the Orioles are blowing smoke. And that makes sense.

But since I think there's a strong chance that a few teams may offer close to 3/30, I believe Boras would not accept a a QO of $16.1, or so. And I can't imagine letting him walk entirely without getting what they thought they were going to get last time around.

16.1 might be worth considering taking, a 2nd time, if all you was going to get was a 3/30 deal.

If so, why?

Maybe Ubaldo used Wieters as a reason he wasn't pitching well. Maybe he read on here how it was all Wieters bad pitch calling and framing and if only he had a decent catcher he would be a star pitcher.

I want Caleb to bat more at AAA. I would also be absolutely delighted for Ubaldo to pitch 200 innings at Norfolk.

Joseph had a very solid year offensively and defensively last year as well as 2014. I am more inclined to think his 100 ABs (most of which came after getting surgery on his testicles) are more of a fluke than his previous numbers.

I am not sure about the inference that Caleb's offensive abilities stemmed from pre-operative testicles. Regardless, only 48 of his 114 at-bats were post-injury, which is not "'most".

Archived