Joseph Optioned

Can_of_corn

Quote Originally Posted by cimota View Post

Caleb might be the worst hitter in the American League this year. I don't see why you would want him to bat more. It is like saying Jiminez doesnt' get to pitch enough.

Observed performance and skill aren't the same thing. You can have wild swings from your skill level in short samples of ABs. From early July to early August Chris Davis had 132 PAs of a .495. Mark Trumbo recently had a run of 63 PAs where he OPS'd. .356. In 2014 Nelson "Why dear God didn't we resign you for all the moneys" Cruz had a 224 PA run with a .202 average and a .617 OPS.

Joseph isn't a good hitter, but he's a .625ish OPS guy, not a .450.

Seems both of these comments can co-exist. Joseph is more like a 600+ OPS guy. And right now today, he is and has been one of the worst hitters in the AL. It's not just about having no RBIs or whatever; he has looked like he can't get a hit in any at-bat.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Earlier this year someone suggested trading Schoop and inserting Flaherty as the starting second baseman.

I shan't name names.

Seems the majority of the board has wanted to trade/demote Schoop over the past 2+ years.

I know my name is not one you would be naming. Nor Frobby, as he has also been on the Schoop train from early on.

I wanted Wieters to turn down the QO. Even in hindsight I would have rather taken my chances with CJ, the draft pick, and spend a few extra $ for Fowler. As bad as Caleb has been, I don't think Wieters has been $16M better than Caleb would have with regular playing time.

I wanted Wieters to turn down the QO. Even in hindsight I would have rather taken my chances with CJ, the draft pick, and spend a few extra $ for Fowler. As bad as Caleb has been, I don't think Wieters has been $16M better than Caleb would have with regular playing time.[/QUOT

Well Wieter is a lot better than Joseph. Most likely we wouldn't have gotten a pick for Wieters that is why he took QO. How much Wieters makes is meaningless as there is no salary cap and you and I are not paying his contract.

I wanted Wieters to turn down the QO. Even in hindsight I would have rather taken my chances with CJ, the draft pick, and spend a few extra $ for Fowler. As bad as Caleb has been, I don't think Wieters has been $16M better than Caleb would have with regular playing time.[/QUOT

Well Wieter is a lot better than Joseph. Most likely we wouldn't have gotten a pick for Wieters that is why he took QO. How much Wieters makes is meaningless as there is no salary cap and you and I are not paying his contract.

Huh? If he turns down the QO and signs anywhere else, we would have gotten the pick. I don't understand your argument. Wieters is a 0.1 WAR player this year. If not CJ, literally anyone in AAA or off the waiver wire could replace Wieters and put up the same production he has. Caleb last year did 2.2 WAR and 1.2 in 2014. I still think Caleb would be a decent bet to produce at that level with regular playing time, and even if he stinks Pena or somebody would be just as good. 0.1 WAR.

Joseph has 114 AB now with no RBI. Did I see it posted here previously that the AL record or ML record was 118 to start a season?

I don't know if this information is complete (I did confirm the 112 for Milbourne from the game logs and box score on the game he had his breakthrough SF). But it looks like Caleb may now own the AL record:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110420060903AAPjU6i

Larry Milbourne had 0 in his first 112 ABs for the Yankees and Twins in 1982, but then had a RBI for the Twins and 25 more with the Indians in 1982.

Huh? If he turns down the QO and signs anywhere else, we would have gotten the pick. I don't understand your argument. Wieters is a 0.1 WAR player this year. If not CJ, literally anyone in AAA or off the waiver wire could replace Wieters and put up the same production he has. Caleb last year did 2.2 WAR and 1.2 in 2014. I still think Caleb would be a decent bet to produce at that level with regular playing time, and even if he stinks Pena or somebody would be just as good. 0.1 WAR.

Or he doesn't get signed until after the draft like Boras clients Morales and Drew did and you get no pick.

Archived