Dylan Bundy 4th Pitch?

JDBirds10

Sorry if this has already been posted and discussed and I haven't seen it but I thought I remember hearing something about Bundy having a slider but they wouldn't let him throw it this year due to the stress it would put on his elbow coming back from Tommy John? He's obviously shown he can get MLB hitters out with three pitches but I was curious if anyone has heard if he will ever be able to throw his slider again?

Sorry if this has already been posted and discussed and I haven't seen it but I thought I remember hearing something about Bundy having a slider but they wouldn't let him throw it this year due to the stress it would put on his elbow coming back from Tommy John? He's obviously shown he can get MLB hitters out with three pitches but I was curious if anyone has heard if he will ever be able to throw his slider again?

It isn't "they".

Bundy shelved it.

And the pitch is a cutter variant called a baby slider.

Actually JD, I was also wondering the same thing. Last I read was that Bundy wasn't going to throw his cutter this year. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for next year though- the cutter was talked about as Bundy's best pitch. Bundy being so good without it now, I can't wait to see it next year (hopefully). At least throw it enough to put in the hitter's head.

It's a cutter. Important to note there are 2 variants of a cutter: your cut fastball variant and your slider variant.

Bundy's cutter is a lot like Arrieta's in the sense that they're essentially hard sliders.

Now, Duquette and Peterson made Bundy nix it as early as 2012. There was talk this year about reintroducing it into his repertoire, but Bundy claims it caused arm discomfort during the AFL...so he/they shelved it.

My gut is he'll probably try reintroducing it next year.

His command still isn't where it was earlier when he started in the rotation. He's up to 81 IP on the year...and I'm wondering if fatigue is starting to set in.

Archived