Will the fans show?

Todd-O

I love baseball. I love Orioles. I live in Massachusetts now. im working towards getting back there. i love it there. I wanna live there again. My girlfriend is on board. We love orioles basball. This year has made my plans look stupid its sad and why im upset.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i looked back when the Orioles were bad. Many times the Orioles played the Red Sox in September on the weekends or not at all. But these two series were during the week.2011 against the Red Sox the Orioles drew 21000,22,000 and 29,000. In 2006 the Orioles drew 24,000,22,000 and 27,000 against the Red Sox. The Orioles both years lost over 90 games. I did notice in one of those years against the Rays in September they drew 10,000,11,000 and 12,000 people. I am sure over 50% of the fans were Red Sox fans at the games.

18 thousand and change last night? Probably the biggest home series of the year. That is unreal. I live in Carlisle PA and get there 2/3 times a year. I love going. Stadium is beautiful, the field is pristine and nothing like the smell at a ballpark.

If I lived closer I would have at least the 13 game package. For me, its not so much the cost it's the time.

I went to the game last night and as others was very surprised by the small crowd. Although I do think there are a variety of factors at hand, I sincerely believe that our fans have become spoiled by our recent span of winning. We went through almost 15 years of losing and over the last 4-years we have seen winning and playoff baseball. As crazy as it sounds I believe the novelty of it all has worn off. Week night baseball, kids in school, cost, the riots, ease of staying home and watching on TV, are all other factors of not showing up, but the main factor is that we as fans are spoiled. This is the bottom line.

An interesting quote from Bill James recently, in response to a question about how collapses and team performance impact fan attitudes:

"Your schematic is interesting, and I agree that there are times when the fans get especially surly and times when they take a poor performance in stride, but I don't have any way of thinking about that problem, and I would have to say that I don't really think about it. We assume the fans will be angry when we don't play well, and that is, in a global view, a really important condition, because all of the income in the game comes in some sense from the fans' optimism."

Maybe Oriole fans are disproportionately pessimistic.

I'm going tonight and tomorrow night. I expect losses and if they win - fine - but with the inconsistency through most of the year I don't see them doing much if they make the playoffs. It has been a nice ride, and I have become "spoiled" with all this winning I guess. I would rather watch at home and if they look like they are going to lose, turn it off and check the score in the morning. I heard a lot of, "Let's go Red Sawx", last night so if ERod has another sterling outing, it will be a test of the ego. Dang, even Papi is still contributing! :cussing:

But, I'm just a pessimist....glad we have you optimists out there! Go Frobby and wildcard! :clap3:

An interesting quote from Bill James recently, in response to a question about how collapses and team performance impact fan attitudes:

Maybe Oriole fans are disproportionately pessimistic.

Do people not seem to realize that that the Orioles recently endured a streak of 14 consecutive losing seasons which basically killed off an entire generation of fans? The people in the 25-34 demographic basically grew up with nothing but losing baseball. I'm 29 years old and I know a bunch of people who basically stopped caring about the Orioles because they were sick and tired of the constant losing. Now, posters on this board suddenly expect all of those people to come back like nothing has happened because the Orioles have had a few years of moderate success? It doesn't work that way.

Do people not seem to realize that that the Orioles recently endured a streak of 14 consecutive losing seasons which basically killed off an entire generation of fans? The people in the 25-34 demographic basically grew up with nothing but losing baseball. I'm 29 years old and I know a bunch of people who basically stopped caring about the Orioles because they were sick and tired of the constant losing. Now, posters on this board suddenly expect all of those people to come back like nothing has happened because the Orioles have had a few years of moderate success? It doesn't work that way.

Those people disappeared between 2014 and now?

How many season ticket holders disappeared?

In 2014 attendance wasn't good last week of August and first week of September during week. The crowds were big at end of month because we were close to or had clinched division.

It wasn't hard to predict these games would not sell well and the Orioles did nothing to change that.

I think not striking while the iron was hot in 2015, after the success in 2014 turned off a lot of fans in that age group. Myself being in that age group, and having a lot of friends who are fans that are of similar age, this is a very real sentiment. So after the poor 2015 and then bringing back largely the same team in 2016, it didn't exactly rekindle the fire in a lot of fans in that demographic.

As a fan having seen very little winning Orioles baseball in my lifetime, 2015 was a gut punch. And it certainly turned off some of the more casual fans in my age range.

Archived