Will the fans show?

Todd-O

Laurel Papa Johns belongs to the Washington Area Franchise, but walk around Laurel, the Oriole hats clearly outnumber by a vast number.

I still believe Annapolis is mostly Oriole land, at least by the Orange coloring I see.

I live in Laurel for now. I see tons of Orioles stickers, hats, and gear. Several young Nats fans on my son's teeball team though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No parents will bring their kids to games before they are 5 1/2. I mean you don't even know what school age is. I am saying you aren't going to go to 20 games a year when you have a 2 year old. Just common sense. But when people with 2 years old come to the game they are probably going to the more expensive seats and a buying from concessions. Instead of buying cheap beer at Pickles and showing up wasted in the third inning.

My son has been to six games this year. I've been to about 15. I spend a lot more when I'm there with him.

No one ever said only families can attend games. They said families have the money to attend games. Also, they fill three or four seats. Not one.

Yeah I agree with the second part, that's a pretty big advantage, and having the cherubic curious faces in the stands probably adds a certain magical quality to the game as well. I was heavily protesting against the assertion that they have some kind of mythical piles of money laying around.

Let's examine, birthers who haven't flown the nest:

-Are in the middle of their career, they may have a promotion or two more than their counterparts that don't have kids yet, but they have less job security. Firms love to hire childless young people in bulk, and hate having to hire people with experience and pay them. So many of them deal with unemployment, despite having slightly higher wages.

-Have more mouths to feed, so they the two incomes are supporting 3-6 people instead of one income supporting one person, or two incomes supporting two people. That money doesn't come out of thin air. To do this, they cut back on discretionary spending.

-They are very retirement oriented, so anything that hasn't been vulture-ed by little things like living expenses for themselves and their kids will probably go straight to that.

-They don't really have anybody to impress the way that you do when you're single, or even just in a relationship but in a clique. Young professionals, empty nesters, and retirees are more likely to get into *urination matches* with each other, especially if they're fighting over the affection of the same women. People with families have nothing to prove, they got to the finish line of their competition in their minds. Now its about getting them to college and make them wicked smart.

-It's one thing to spend lavishly on yourself, your date, or your good friends, but parents want to imbue strong values on their kids. Spending all of that money on food and drinks and jerseys and material items sometimes doesn't fit the narrative of the type of values that they want to instill in their children.

I live in Laurel for now. I see tons of Orioles stickers, hats, and gear. Several young Nats fans on my son's teeball team though.

For what it's worth, St. Mary's County still appears to be Orioles territory. My informal surveys of hats at Little League are heavily O's, much fewer Nats.

Sorry, I love talking about gentrification, the rise of the cities, and generation gaps. But switching topics and bringing in another idea:

Yes, we’ve had winning seasons and apparently the best record over a four year period, but we won’t have a prayer at the regular 40,000 paid attendance in the middle of the week until we bring home some hardware. Four non-losing seasons, but we only had two play-off appearances, and one series win to show for it (excluding the mini-round to get past the WC round). We lost a heartbreaking series to the Yankees, took a year off, marched our way to ALCS, got swept out, and took a step backwards. In addition to the 14 years of teeth gnashing, its been 33 years since we’ve even sniffed the WS. If we bring the trophy back, we’ll get families, professionals, retirees, housing projects people etc. out, will turn some DC fans, and possibly even turn some PA/MD border and Delaware people.

Yeah I agree with the second part, that's a pretty big advantage, and having the cherubic curious faces in the stands probably adds a certain magical quality to the game as well. I was heavily protesting against the assertion that they have some kind of mythical piles of money laying around.

Let's examine, birthers who haven't flown the nest:

-Are in the middle of their career, they may have a promotion or two more than their counterparts that don't have kids yet, but they have less job security. Firms love to hire childless young people in bulk, and hate having to hire people with experience and pay them. So many of them deal with unemployment, despite having slightly higher wages.

You should familiarize yourself with unemployment by age. Older workers are far less likely to be unemployed.

http://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea10.htm

Something else interesting, the unemployment rate for married individuals is lower than for the population generally, which also means that unmarried individuals have a higher unemployment rate than the population as a whole.

-Have more mouths to feed, so they the two incomes are supporting 3-6 people instead of one income supporting one person, or two incomes supporting two people. That money doesn't come out of thin air. To do this, they cut back on discretionary spending.

It's necessarily true that having kids is more expensive than not having kids, but the income effect often exceeds this cost. As the research I linked earlier in the thread, by and large, married couples with kids have higher household incomes than any other status (single, married, married no kids). The additional cost of a child is largely daycare and that cost drops dramatically after they are school age if they go to public school. After all, there aren't too many one bedroom houses and kids don't add much to the utility costs or food costs.

-They are very retirement oriented, so anything that hasn't been vulture-ed by little things like living expenses for themselves and their kids will probably go straight to that.

Having worked in retirement security in the past, I can tell you that the vast majority of people are not nearly as concerned with saving for retirement as they should be.

-They don't really have anybody to impress the way that you do when you're single, or even just in a relationship but in a clique. Young professionals, empty nesters, and retirees are more likely to get into *urination matches* with each other, especially if they're fighting over the affection of the same women. People with families have nothing to prove, they got to the finish line of their competition in their minds. Now its about getting them to college and make them wicked smart.

People can be competitive at all ages. I still enjoy thinking about how well my life has turned out relative to those who tortured me when I was a kid because I wasn't the best looking, rich, or popular. Different things motivate parents and adults than young people, that's true. I don't know how to help guys that thing women are going to be impressed because they made them sit through an Orioles game though.

-It's one thing to spend lavishly on yourself, your date, or your good friends, but parents want to imbue strong values on their kids. Spending all of that money on food and drinks and jerseys and material items sometimes doesn't fit the narrative of the type of values that they want to instill in their children.

Maybe for some people. I don't have any problem with my kid enjoying the fruits of my labor. I do try to impress on him that we are very fortunate and that we have what we have because his parents make sacrifices, make good choices, and work hard. If he learns that those behaviors lead to positive outcomes and that it doesn't make you an intrinsically better person, I'm happy.

I mean do you know families that ever have ever brought all of their kids to all of the games of a big season ticket package?? What kind of kids and parents on the go have that kind of time? Many of the robust season ticket packages are corporate, and many of the others a guy will buy 2 and a bring friends for the games.

I work with people that have 13 game plans and have kids. More in the 8 to 12 year old range. When I had season tickets there was a dad who brought his pre-teen daughter every game that sat behind us and she talked about what players were cute all game. I don't know why you want to exclude kids. There seem to be a lot more kids at Orioles games than Ravens games. If you want to subtract kids from the equation you will have a lot less people attending games.

I work with people that have 13 game plans and have kids. More in the 8 to 12 year old range. When I had season tickets there was a dad who brought his pre-teen daughter every game that sat behind us and she talked about what players were cute all game. I don't know why you want to exclude kids. There seem to be a lot more kids at Orioles games than Ravens games. If you want to subtract kids from the equation you will have a lot less people attending games.

The cost of attending a single Raven's game is extremely more than the cost of an Oriole game.

Which is why I took my kids to baseball games, and my son had to wait, until he was working teenager to see his first NFL game.

The cost of attending a single Raven's game is extremely more than the cost of an Oriole game.

Which is why I took my kids to baseball games, and my son had to wait, until he was working teenager to see his first NFL game.

I also think the crowd at a Ravens game can be a little rowdy and rough around the edges for young kids.

I also think the crowd at a Ravens game can be a little rowdy and rough around the edges for young kids.

Baseball, especially home games, is very kid-friendly. I take my kids to DC United a few times a year, and sit in our seats adjacent to the Screaming Eagles. They know not to repeat certain RFK words, and to cover their heads after a goal so as not to be struck by flying beer cups (and beer). But there's absolutely none of that drunk-macho-fight thing that often seems to accompany the NFL. It's all drunk singing happy, or drunk singing bawdy songs about the ref's questionable parentage. I'd certainly rather have the boys at RFK than FedEx or probably the Ravens' Stadium.

No one ever said only families can attend games. They said families have the money to attend games. Also, they fill three or four seats. Not one.

And my point about families is they aren't going to games during the week, they are waiting for the weekend.

Tickets are cheaper tonight than the Sox series.

Baseball, especially home games, is very kid-friendly. I take my kids to DC United a few times a year, and sit in our seats adjacent to the Screaming Eagles. They know not to repeat certain RFK words, and to cover their heads after a goal so as not to be struck by flying beer cups (and beer). But there's absolutely none of that drunk-macho-fight thing that often seems to accompany the NFL. It's all drunk singing happy, or drunk singing bawdy songs about the ref's questionable parentage. I'd certainly rather have the boys at RFK than FedEx or probably the Ravens' Stadium.

At least with RFK and Fedex, where you sat, had a lot to do with the rowdiness.

If you managed to get into the season ticket boxes, you get away from the rowdiness. :)

Archived