Which Prospect(s) Would You Be Excited To Take At Pick #4?

Which prospect(s) would you be excited to take at pick #4?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Which prospect(s) would you be excited to take at pick #4?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I chose Alvarez & Smoak. To me, those are the safest bets to be ML impact hitters. T. Beckham sounds like a guy with a lot of upside but no sure thing with the bat. Not sure I buy into G. Beckham as an impact hitter. I'm not sure about Hosmer's power. I think I'd only be excited by those two.

Hosmer has tremendous power... the scouting reports are glowing.

Okay. I thought he was compared to Casey Kotchman, who I don't consider to have tremendous power.

Yeah, he's projected to have a lot of power, he's just young still, as he is just a HS kid, compared to Smoak who is already developing his power as we speak. Kotchman isn't a huge power guy either, but it looks like he is starting to develop some. Pure with the bat skills I would compare Kotchman to Posey, hence where Posey's value comes in, because getting that kind of production at C is great.

I chose Alvarez & Smoak. To me, those are the safest bets to be ML impact hitters. T. Beckham sounds like a guy with a lot of upside but no sure thing with the bat. Not sure I buy into G. Beckham as an impact hitter. I'm not sure about Hosmer's power. I think I'd only be excited by those two.

I voted Alvarez, Smoak, Hosmer and Smoak but I'm leaning toward Alvarez and Smoak as my top two now. I really think we should and we will want a college player. A non-Boras client if possible which gives Smoak another advantage. I watched some of the Vandy/GA game and I do not think G Beckam is worth the pick. He's a very good college player but I don't seem him being an elite pro as some of these other players could be.

Just wondering . . . how can one be excited for 4 or more guys to be there? It should be expected that some of those will be there, so I'm not sure excited is the word. If someone tells me there are 4 donuts, each person can have 1, and I am the 4th to choose. I am not really excited that I have a donut.

So, yeah, I am excited if Alvarez or Tim Beckham are there because I think they are the best ones and I do not believe they will be there when the O's pick.

Okay. I thought he was compared to Casey Kotchman, who I don't consider to have tremendous power.

That's true, Kotchman has been mentioned as a comp... I am of the opinion that the Kotchman comp was more in regards to defense and hitting ability. Kotchman has good power, but until recently it was not 'in-game'. Hosmer has all of Kotchman's skills, but Eric's power should manifest much quicker as a pro than Casey's. I think Hosmer will be a better pro than CK, and I'm a CK fan. :)

I picked the top four bats from this draft class. I'd be ecstatic with Alvarez, very very happy with Smoak, and almost as excited about Beckham and Hosmer. High Schoolers always scare me a little, plus I want a guy who will move through the system quickly. We already have Rowell and Snyder on the slow track. I'd rather have the guy who will be contributing sooner, but I'd still gladly take a kid with the potential that T. Beckham and Hosmer have been said to have.

Just wondering . . . how can one be excited for 4 or more guys to be there? It should be expected that some of those will be there, so I'm not sure excited is the word. If someone tells me there are 4 donuts, each person can have 1, and I am the 4th to choose. I am not really excited that I have a donut.

So, yeah, I am excited if Alvarez or Tim Beckham are there because I think they are the best ones and I do not believe they will be there when the O's pick.

Speaking for myself, I think there are more than two players that are great bets to be very good MLers. There are a couple of players that I think are

trap" picks that stand a good chance of not giving good return as a #4 overall. I would be "excited" if we stayed away from the trap picks.

Speaking for myself, I think there are more than two players that are great bets to be very good MLers. There are a couple of players that I think are

trap" picks that stand a good chance of not giving good return as a #4 overall. I would be "excited" if we stayed away from the trap picks.

Besides Gordon Beckham, who do you feel is a trap pick at #4?

Besides Gordon Beckham, who do you feel is a trap pick at #4?

Hosmer -- Due to $; if his bat doesn't reach his ceiling, you're giving an insane bonus for good defense at 1b; T-Beckham is giving you five tools that project -- Hosmer is giving you two.

Crow -- He hasn't sustained dominance over the course of a college season yet; he has mechanical issues that indicate a decent chance of future arm troubles; seems like a good candidate to ultimately wind up 1) injured, or 2) in the bullpen where he can go full bore for an inning at a time.

Archived