O's acquire Kyle Lobstein

sock77

The Lobstein/Phillips trade was not about Lobstein. It was about Phillips.

Phillips was outright in late Spring Training. It was late enough that when he accepted being outrighting he was allowed to keep his 510K salary. So by trading him to the Pirates the O's got rid of the final 92K on his contract.

Lobstein had been optioned to AAA on the split contract so he was being paid a minor league salary. With the minor league schedule all but over the O's can DFA him and pay him nothing.

This gives the O's 92K to acquire another player. Both Stubbs and Bourn will require the O's to only pay the major league minimum for about 89k for the rest of the season. I don't know if the O's will keep both Stubbs and Bourn or just one.

Thank you for making sense out of... well um... I know what's happening but still don't understand why.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It

The Lobstein/Phillips trade was not about Lobstein. It was about Phillips.

Phillips was outright in late Spring Training. It was late enough that when he accepted being outrighting he was allowed to keep his 510K salary. So by trading him to the Pirates the O's got rid of the final 92K on his contract.

Lobstein had been optioned to AAA on the split contract so he was being paid a minor league salary. With the minor league schedule all but over the O's can DFA him and pay him nothing.

This gives the O's 92K to acquire another player. Both Stubbs and Bourn will require the O's to only pay the major league minimum for about 89k for the rest of the season. I don't know if the O's will keep both Stubbs and Bourn or just one.

You don't make a trade to save $90,000. No way, this is MLB. That made the trade because they liked him more than Phillips.

I must say I was never thrilled with having a pitcher with "Lob" in his name on the team.

Seems like he would be easy to hit.

No, you have it all wrong! It's LOB. Recognize it yet?! Left On Base! Duh! He's Captain LOB. Loads them up, then strikes out a batter, then induces an easy double play. It's his way. Leads the Majors in the LOB stat for a relief pitcher.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you have it all wrong! It's LOB. Recognize it yet?! Left On Base! Duh! He's Captain LOB. Loads them up, then strikes out a batter, then induces an easy double play. It's his way. Leads the Majors in the LOB stat for a relief pitcher.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be good for inherited runners too! LOB.

Seems like Tolliver's main problem was health. He missed a lot of time in his development over the years and this year he went down again right when the O's could have used him.

Hart passed him on the depth chart and now it appears Aquino has also. I guess the O's just thought there were better options in the organization then Tolliver.

So he'll be with the big club Monday?

Sincerely doubt we ever see Lobstein in an O's uniform. Hart is a lefty, Aquino who has been recalled is a lefty and Duensing who he due to come off the 60 day DL is a lefty.

Not being on the 40 man roster means he will become a minor league free agent this off season if he is not placed on the 40. There will be a 40 man roster crunch with other players like Mancini, Gunkel, Rickard Rodriguez, Yacabonis and Liranzo that are all ahead of Lobstein IMO.

Archived