This Team Needs Energy

Camden_yardbird

I know a lot of people will tell me that it's the stats that matter, that momentum doesn't exist, and that energy is overrated. But I look at this team and I think one thing, where is the energy, the enjoyment of the game, the glee that accompanies a young kid or a journeyman player coming up and adding a spark? You can look around the league and find it happening whether it's the Yankee's Gary Sanchez or Jacoby Jones coming up a putting green a Detroit team on his back with clutch hits. We may soon see it in Boston where a very exciting Yoan Moncada will be coming up to play 3rd base. I look at the Orioles and I just don't see it. They have ever a lot of things not going for them. Noticeably decreased attendance means the crowds are not supplying much energy. The players have noticed. Some teams get momentum from big home runs and walk off wins. The orioles home runs are common place and their most recent walk off win lead into a weekend series where they lost 2 of 3. There is no rally Mantis. A weak farm system means there are very few hitters who can come up and contribute in the ways Sanchez or Jones have. Maybe Michael Bourne or Drew Stubbs provides a spark in the same way that Nate McLouth once did, but I don't see the Orioles making the playoffs without that intangible energy.

I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but it makeseems the team tough to watch.

I know a lot of people will tell me that it's the stats that matter, that momentum doesn't exist, and that energy is overrated. But I look at this team and I think one thing, where is the energy, the enjoyment of the game, the glee that accompanies a young kid or a journeyman player coming up and adding a spark? You can look around the league and find it happening whether it's the Yankee's Gary Sanchez or Jacoby Jones coming up a putting green a Detroit team on his back with clutch hits. We may soon see it in Boston where a very exciting Yoan Moncada will be coming up to play 3rd base. I look at the Orioles and I just don't see it. They have ever a lot of things not going for them. Noticeably decreased attendance means the crowds are not supplying much energy. The players have noticed. Some teams get momentum from big home runs and walk off wins. The orioles home runs are common place and their most recent walk off win lead into a weekend series where they lost 2 of 3. There is no rally Mantis. A weak farm system means there are very few hitters who can come up and contribute in the ways Sanchez or Jones have. Maybe Michael Bourne or Drew Stubbs provides a spark in the same way that Nate McLouth once did, but I don't see the Orioles making the playoffs without that intangible energy.

I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but it makeseems the team tough to watch.

You mean it looks like a lack of enthusiasm? Maybe they do need some energy. I don't know.

You mean it looks like a lack of enthusiasm? Maybe they do need some energy. I don't know.

I don't know if it's the same thing. But I've been saying the O's look tired for a while now. When more than one player mentions it in an interview is kind of telling also. I think the O's infielders especially because they get thrown out there just about every single day. I normally don't knock Buck but I think he might have ground the guys into the dirt this year. One of the hotter summers in recent memory and Baltimore is one of the most humid places were baseball is played in the U.S.

I don't know if it's the same thing. But I've been saying the O's look tired for a while now. When more than one player mentions it in an interview is kind of telling also. I think the O's infielders especially because they get thrown out there just about every single day. I normally don't knock Buck but I think he might have ground the guys into the dirt this year. One of the hotter summers in recent memory and Baltimore is one of the most humid places were baseball is played in the U.S.

Schoop has played every game.

Machado has played every game he was eligible to play.

Davis has played 129 out of 133.

Trumbo has played 132 out of 133.

Schoop has played every game.

Machado has played every game he was eligible to play.

Davis has played 129 out of 133.

Trumbo has played 132 out of 133.

Up until a couple of weeks ago Schoop played every inning of every game. I'm not sure what Buck is thinking. In my opinion Flaherty plays fairly well at every position in the infield. But he almost never leaves the bench. I know he can't hit but I don't think it would hurt the O's to start him at every infield position over a two week span.

Word has it that in the greenies friendly past the clubhouses would have a pot of regular coffee and a pot laced with amphetamines. The latter was referred to as "leaded".

Never knew that.

Dad was a big coffee drinker, when the doctor put him on decaf coffer, then leaded was the regular joe, and decaf was unleaded.

Word has it that in the greenies friendly past the clubhouses would have a pot of regular coffee and a pot laced with amphetamines. The latter was referred to as "leaded".

I knew a guy who would dissolve two exedrin into his thermos of coffee. I asked him why he didn't just take the pills and drink the coffee. He told me he didn't want the jolt to hit him all at once and it was friendlier to his stomach that way.

Archived