Too soon... to think about 2017 roster?

Bradysburns

Chris Davis 13th out of 19 qualifying first basemen in OPS

and he hasn't even started to regress with age

absolutely horrific signing

To be fair he has 40 HR and 100+ RBI. It's not as dire as it seems. It is a bad contract but it's not Albert Belle bad. Add in inflation of contracts, particularly as we see guys like Harper, Machado, Donaldson extended and it might not look as bad and just might be tradeable.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We need to reconfigure the lineup.

I'm all for working Sisco in as a catcher/platoon DH splitting time with Mancini. Would love Fowler, but I don't see him coming here after that fiasco last offseason. I think Michael Saunders or Josh Reddick would be a great fit for RF. We can sign a stopgap catcher to platoon with Sisco, limit his exposure behind the plate to 100 games or so. I'm also in favor of bringing Pearce back (if healthy), who is another guy who can take a walk and provide some insurance if Mancini struggles.

Your lineup vs. righties:

1. Kim (LF)

2. Sisco ©

3. Machado (3B)

4. Davis (1B)

5. Jones (CF)

6. Saunders or Reddick (RF)

7. Mancini (DH)

8. Schoop (2B)

9. Hardy (SS)

Your lineup vs. lefties:

1. Saunders (reverse splits) or Reddick (RF)

2. Pearce (LF)

3. Machado (3B)

4. Davis (1B)

5. Jones (CF)

6. Mancini/Sisco (DH)

7. Schoop (2B)

8. Hardy (SS)

9. Joseph or another stopgap ©

I think these lineups could potentially score a lot of runs. My 1-4 all of have above average walk rates and we have our hackers (Jones, Schoop) further down in the order where they belong.

I would give Trumbo's money to Reddick. 9 to 12 a year for 3 or 4 years. He got OBP and pop...and injury concerns.

We need to reconfigure the lineup.

I'm all for working Sisco in as a catcher/platoon DH splitting time with Mancini. Would love Fowler, but I don't see him coming here after that fiasco last offseason. I think Michael Saunders or Josh Reddick would be a great fit for RF. We can sign a stopgap catcher to platoon with Sisco, limit his exposure behind the plate to 100 games or so. I'm also in favor of bringing Pearce back (if healthy), who is another guy who can take a walk and provide some insurance if Mancini struggles.

Your lineup vs. righties:

1. Kim (LF)

2. Sisco ©

3. Machado (3B)

4. Davis (1B)

5. Jones (CF)

6. Saunders or Reddick (RF)

7. Mancini (DH)

8. Schoop (2B)

9. Hardy (SS)

Your lineup vs. lefties:

1. Saunders (reverse splits) or Reddick (RF)

2. Pearce (LF)

3. Machado (3B)

4. Davis (1B)

5. Jones (CF)

6. Mancini/Sisco (DH)

7. Schoop (2B)

8. Hardy (SS)

9. Joseph or another stopgap ©

I think these lineups could potentially score a lot of runs. My 1-4 all of have above average walk rates and we have our hackers (Jones, Schoop) further down in the order where they belong.

I agree with this. Our biggest need going into next season is a legitimate COF that can defend, get on base a bit, and hit for some pop. Needn't be an absolute masher, just a solid player out there.

I think it's a touch ambitious on Sisco being ready to go and catch at the big league level to start next year, but we can find some type of decent veteran to stopgap if needed.

Looking at 2017 doesn't mean you've given up on 2016. Everyone loves specualtion. I won't get into potential FA's to bring in, but we have to make decision on our own guys.

Trumbo gets QO. The first domino. Should be a hot commodity in FA.

Pedro Alvarez wont get a QO. He may like it here. Would get more PA's if Trumbo is gone.

MW doesn't get QO. We may try to work out an extension with him.

Pearce is a ? because of him possibly missing the year with TJ.

Hunter will likely fetch a decent multi year reliever contract on the open market.

I don't see Reimold coming back, but then again, I never do.

Stubbs and Bourn are just rentals. Bourn could come back on a cheap 1 yr deal.

That takes care of our FA's. I think the team we have now is going to be pretty similar to next year. Which is good and bad. Heck we're right in the thick of things with 5 games left. We will definitely see some tinkering, but we basically are what we are.

Pitchers:

Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Ubaldo, Miley/Gallardo-locked in

Britton, O'day, Brach, Givens, Miley/Gallardo locked in

Then two spots up for grabs in the pen depending on, flexibility, Norfolk shuttle, and options.

I'd say Hart as an inside track as a LOOGY. If we have the flexibility to have a LOOGY, then he's here. He should probably be considered "locked in". Then for the 7th spot we'll rotate through Drake, Wilson, Wright, Garcia, maybe a rule 5 guy, milb'ers not on the 40 man like T.Scott or Liranzo.

Position Players:

C: ? Sisco/Joseph/Pena

1B: Davis

2B: Schoop

3B: Machado

SS: Hardy

LF: Kim/Rickard platoon

CF: Jones

RF: ?

DH: ?

Bench:

C: Sisco/Joseph/Pena

1b/RH DH: Mancini

OF: Rickard/Kim platoon

Util: Flaherty

It's basically going to be the same team. Which sounds frustrating to some, but we are right there. We'll have a full season of Bundy starting. Hopefully 2 of Ubaldo/Miley/Gallardo have better years. A lot will depend on if we keep any of our FA's. As much as I want us to, I don't see Buck handing the catching job, against RHP, over to Sisco.

Meet the new O's, as same as the old O's. We do have flexibility with all the money coming off the books between Trumbo, PA and MW. Lots of options. Just not that many internally.

To be fair he has 40 HR and 100+ RBI. It's not as dire as it seems. It is a bad contract but it's not Albert Belle bad. Add in inflation of contracts, particularly as we see guys like Harper, Machado, Donaldson extended and it might not look as bad and just might be tradeable.

Did I miss 2 HR's and 16 RBI's somewhere???

O's should aggressively look to dump the CD contract, before he declines any further.

Might be able to sell him for 80 million, although I'd really only see another team be willing to pay 60 million for his final 5 years. Have to see what Chris Carter gets as a free agent as they are basically the same player.

I believe Joey Rickard is going to play a much bigger role then people think. He is a guy that can play solid defense and play all three outfield positions and hits very well vs lefties. He will be on the opening day roster and may be leading off opening day against Happ.

C- Joespeh

1B- Davis

2B Schoop

SS- Hardy

3B- Manny

LF Kim

CF Jones

RF Saunders

DH Mancini

Bench Flaherty, Sisco or Pena, Rickard, Bourne

O's should aggressively look to dump the CD contract, before he declines any further.

Might be able to sell him for 80 million, although I'd really only see another team be willing to pay 60 million for his final 5 years. Have to see what Chris Carter gets as a free agent as they are basically the same player.

Look at the numbers. Davis always stinks in even years. We're always good in even years. We can't get on the same page.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisch02.shtml

I believe Joey Rickard is going to play a much bigger role then people think. He is a guy that can play solid defense and play all three outfield positions and hits very well vs lefties. He will be on the opening day roster and may be leading off opening day against Happ.

Really? I am not sold on Rickard at all. I know Buck loves him but I don't see it. Good to have as a backup 4th OF/PR type but doesn't have the bat for corner OF every day. Now that we have kept him for a year he can be optioned to Norfolk. I don't think it is even a lock that he makes the club.

I would give Trumbo's money to Reddick. 9 to 12 a year for 3 or 4 years. He got OBP and pop...and injury concerns.

Reddic is not an OBP guy. He is having his best year at .346 but the previous years are .333, 316, .307 He is a .320 OBP the last 3 years Adam Jones is a .316 OBP guy over that time. Reddick is a decent player but he is not a high average guy not an OBP guy and also just average pop with history concerns him and Saunders are the top guys and I see them getting more then they should.

He's close, but not at 40/100. He has 38 hr's and 80-something rbi.

And the Albert Belle contract wasn't bad.....that was a great signing, he just got hurt. 108/37/117/17/.297/.400/.941 in that first year. Arguably, better offensively than Manny's 2016. But......then the hip.

Really? I am not sold on Rickard at all. I know Buck loves him but I don't see it. Good to have as a backup 4th OF/PR type but doesn't have the bat for corner OF every day. Now that we have kept him for a year he can be optioned to Norfolk. I don't think it is even a lock that he makes the club.

He hit .313 vs lefties and had an OBP of .369 I see guys names like Reddick and Saunders on here who will cost a good amount of money in a weak class and I think Joey can have similar numbers in OBP then those guys. We have power at other positions so power not a major need.

Archived