Too soon... to think about 2017 roster?

Bradysburns

The Yankees might want to spend, and certainly CAN spend. But who will they spend on? Normally I would just grant them their pick among elite FA pitchers coming to market. But there are none this year. Except Strasburg. That would be such a typical Yankee signing, IMO. Strasburg for 10 years, $270 million or something insane like that.

I think the chances of Encarnacion being a Yankee next year are extremely high. Would be surprised to see them sell off some of those prospect for a young big game pitcher. Gerrit Cole was drafted by them coming out of high school...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not too soon

too late

The time to think about 2017 was July of 2015 when Davis and O'day could have been traded

Now we are stuck with them for 2017 and beyond

Chris Carter has had a better year than Chris Davis for 2.5 million

Chris Carter WAR 0.9

Chris Davis WAR 3.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baltimore will simply need Machado to keep steady and see more improvement from Schoop, Gausman and Bundy, maybe Kim, get returns from Mancini, etc etc.

My top five FA targets based on Orioles needs in 2017:

Jason Castro (30 C) - especially if the team moves on from Wieters, this is the perfect low-cost veteran compliment to Chance Sisco.

Ian Desmond (32 CF) - maybe he moves to LF/RF with Jonesy staying in CF, but anyway his transition to OF has worked wonderfully.

Matthew Joyce (33 LF) - he's an on base machine whose bat is back just as I predicted. He is cheap and can play sub-par OF unlike Pedro Alvarez.

Josh Reddick (30 RF) - his trade means no QO status. He has done badly in LA which may drive his price down a bit. Though not a star, he can hit fairly well and his glove would be an immense upgrade.

Luis Valbuena (31 IF) - has found his stroke the past three seasons and is really contributing for a Houston team that will have no room for him next season. Can play 1B, 2B, 3B and basically improve a great deal on Ryan Flaherty.

Note none of them are starting pitchers. The pickings there are slim (and Bartolo Colon). Improving the rotation would be great, but I don't see both Gallardo and Miley going to the pen. Of course health can change anything.

This is why I bumped this thread. How much do you think Valbuena would cost?

Too much for a utility infielder. He will get a starting gig somewhere.

Joyce to me makes sense as a left handed DH/OFer if the other outfielder we add is right handed. If we already added a LH outfielder than I would go Pearce, assuming his shoulder recovery is going well. Both guys (Joyce and Pearce) are probably guys you wait until January or February to sign.

I like Reddick of the free agent options available unless we can somehow pull off a trade off for that magical outfielder who can hit and also field. I'm on board for Jason Castro as well.

He only played in 90 games last year. I don't know why he'd be viewed as a lock for a starting position. To me, this is exactly the kind of unsexy pickup we should be focusing on. We really need a strong bench that compliments the roster perfectly. I don't feel like we've ever had any true bench stars during the Buck era, so to speak.

I doubt we pick up Reddick or any other top FA's. I would like to see us snag Fowler but that ain't happening. So I suspect our improvement will have to come from the edges.

What about Carlos Gomez for RF? Bring back Wiet on a reasonable deal or on a 1-yr QO acceptance? Then a Rule-5 pick, maybe a lefty COF bat (in the mold of Dom Brown perhaps). Wouldn't mind Pedro back, but DD loves the Rule-5 and that's where I could see it making sense on the bats side. Could be a very strong lineup:

CF - Jones ®

LF - Kim (L)

3B - Machado ®

1B - Davis (L)

RF - Gomez ®

2B - Schoop ®

C - Wieters (S)

DH - Mancini ®

SS - Hardy ®

BN - Joseph (eventually replaced by Sisco)

BN - Flaherty

BN - Rickard

BN - LHB COF Rule-5

Joyce had a terrible second half, is 33, mainly was a fourth outielder and had high strikeout percentage. Pass. Give me Kim every day instead of Joyce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joyce wouldn't be taking plate appearances from Kim, but you're right, he hit under .200 in August/September. I would still take him at his expected price.

What about Carlos Gomez for RF? Bring back Wiet on a reasonable deal or on a 1-yr QO acceptance? Then a Rule-5 pick, maybe a lefty COF bat (in the mold of Dom Brown perhaps). Wouldn't mind Pedro back, but DD loves the Rule-5 and that's where I could see it making sense on the bats side. Could be a very strong lineup:

CF - Jones ®

LF - Kim (L)

3B - Machado ®

1B - Davis (L)

RF - Gomez ®

2B - Schoop ®

C - Wieters (S)

DH - Mancini ®

SS - Hardy ®

BN - Joseph (eventually replaced by Sisco)

BN - Flaherty

BN - Rickard

BN - LHB COF Rule-5

Not getting a lead off hitter would be a big mistake IMO

No QO for Michael Saunders. .338 OBP last year, but only .309 career. Killed the Orioles early in the year, but tailed off in Aug-Sept. Not ideal as a leadoff guy but could be better than AJ.

I really like the idea of Saunders, just not as a lead off consideration.

Archived