Rounds 2 and later

I've been keeping myself from posting this for a while but since Tony posted on the minor league board about redundant threads, I felt justified in saying that hopefully on this board, which has been great for providing a lot of information about the draft, will start moving past the first four picks. If I have to read one more thread that is some variation of "Who should the Orioles pick," I'm going to jump off the warehouse.

But now that we hangouters have analyzed every possible scenario for the first four picks in the draft imaginable, I ask where do we go from there? If Smoak is the pick, what middle infield prospects will be available in Rounds 2-5? If we go with another pitcher, what positional prospects can we expect later down the line?

I didn't know anything about Jake Arrietta prior to the Orioles drafting him only to find out that he was a first round talent that slipped because of signability. Are there any of these kinds of players that we see slipping?

Lets go beyond the first where minor league system is truly filled out, the middle and later rounds.

I've been keeping myself from posting this for a while but since Tony posted on the minor league board about redundant threads, I felt justified in saying that hopefully on this board, which has been great for providing a lot of information about the draft, will start moving past the first four picks. If I have to read one more thread that is some variation of "Who should the Orioles pick," I'm going to jump off the warehouse.

But now that we hangouters have analyzed every possible scenario for the first four picks in the draft imaginable, I ask where do we go from there? If Smoak is the pick, what middle infield prospects will be available in Rounds 2-5? If we go with another pitcher, what positional prospects can we expect later down the line?

I didn't know anything about Jake Arrietta prior to the Orioles drafting him only to find out that he was a first round talent that slipped because of signability. Are there any of these kinds of players that we see slipping?

Lets go beyond the first where minor league system is truly filled out, the middle and later rounds.

Teams have just now started to hint at their draft boards, meaning the later rounds can start to take shape. Up until recently, it was kind of pointless to go into detail on Rounds 2 and up (and probably much further than pick 10) because there was still going to be so much movement. For example, Ethan Martin (HS 2b/SP) has shot up the list to be a potential mid-first rounder and Harold Martinez has fallen from potential top 10 pick to likely out of the first and supplemental round (and maybe lower).

I'd be happy to start discussing later rounds, but they're really just now coming into the slightest bit of focus.

Good post. While posters like Greg have done a great job I think it's time to start looking at possible targets and scenarios where we can find some talent later in the draft.

To get the ball rolling...

#4 -- Alvarez, Pedro (Vanderbilt), 3b

#50 -- Flaherty, Ryan (Vanderbilt), SS

#81 -- Gorgen, Scott (UC Irvine), RHSP

#116 -- Mooneyham, Brett (Buhach Colony HS (CA)), LHSP

To get the ball rolling...

#4 -- Alvarez, Pedro (Vanderbilt), 3b

#50 -- Flaherty, Ryan (Vanderbilt), SS

#81 -- Gorgen, Scott (UC Irvine), RHSP

#116 -- Mooneyham, Brett (Buhach Colony HS (CA)), LHSP

Ha, thanks. I know what you mean how it's incredibly unpredictable, more so with baseball than other sports, but I just am looking for an idea of what players are projected to be available in the second, third, fourth rounds. We don't have to peg specific players and mock out 500 picks, but who will be there beyond the top names?

#4 Alvarez

#50 Tim Murphy, LHP (I could also see Adrien Neito, C, American Heritage, Hialeah, FL, Brandon Crawford, or Allan Dykstra here) - Neito is a bit of a reach, but I never thought about it until Stotle mentioned it. Weiters can flat out hit. He might be better served at another position.

#81 Jarret Martin, LHP, Centennial, Bakersfield, CA - low 90s fastball and a decent breaking ball

#116 Rolando Gomez, SS, Flanagan, Pembroke Pines, FL - good defensive SS with some patience

I wish I could do more, but between doing what I do here and trying to run MLB-Draft.com virtually alone> it's been hard. I have updated the site recently to note the Top 75 Prospects, which covers most of the first two rounds. It's my hope that my new 'Positional Focus' series featured here at the OH will be a decent way to learn more about players considered in the top rounds. I've completed Catchers and 1B'men, and 2B'men are up next.

Once home from vacation in Wisconsin, I'll be hoping to do better. :)

Good post.

My initial post wasn't meant to be purely critical. I'd love to hear some names thrown out there that we can be familiar with. I'd love to see the Orioles pick up a number of college positional players that can begin filling the system quickly.

My initial post wasn't meant to be purely critical. I'd love to hear some names thrown out there that we can be familiar with. I'd love to see the Orioles pick up a number of college positional players that can begin filling the system quickly.

I follow you.

Yeah, the O's attempted to fill the organization with nearly all collegians through last year's draft, and with all things being equal most would take the college guy as it's likely he'll advance quicker and thus help the ML team sooner.

I'll be working on expanding my Top 75 list soon and that may be helpful in the education of these youngsters skills. :)

Archived