Smoak and Havens Please

http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051308aaa.html

Smoak hit his 20th Tuesday, Havens his 15th. I don't think Havens falls to us in the 2nd round but that would be a great start in the draft.

#4 -- Alvarez, Pedro (Vanderbilt), 3b

#50 -- Flaherty, Ryan (Vanderbilt), SS

#81 -- Gorgen, Scott (UC Irvine), RHSP

#116 -- Mooneyham, Brett (Buhach Colony HS (CA)), LHSP

Cash money......

#50 -- Flaherty, Ryan (Vanderbilt), SS

#81 -- Gorgen, Scott (UC Irvine), RHSP

#116 -- Mooneyham, Brett (Buhach Colony HS (CA)), LHSP

Cash money......

Do you think Flaherty can stick at SS?

Do you think Flaherty can stick at SS?

I will be very happy with Alvarez or Smoak. I just don't think Alvarez will be there. AM may want that anyway so he doesn't have to deal with Boris. I do think they will go with a college player and it's probably one of those two.

#50 -- Weeks, Jemile (Miami), 2b - I will be praying for a slide on draft day! Really like this guy!

I don't think Weeks will hit for enough power to be a high draftee -- that said, if he slips out of the 1st round, let alone supplemental, it will be a HUGE shock.

I don't think we need Weeks to be a power hitter. He's a second basemen, so unless he is purely punch and judy a la Matt Angle, on base percentage is crucial. He's .375/443 so far this season with 10 home runs and 15 doubles. He's also 16/17 on stolen base attempts. He may not last, but fellowe 'Cane, Blake Tekkote should get some looks, too. A centerfielder with good speed and a good eye at the plate (more walks than k's) would be nice to have around.

I don't think we need Weeks to be a power hitter. He's a second basemen, so unless he is purely punch and judy a la Matt Angle, on base percentage is crucial. He's .375/443 so far this season with 10 home runs and 15 doubles. He's also 16/17 on stolen base attempts. He may not last, but fellowe 'Cane, Blake Tekkote should get some looks, too. A centerfielder with good speed and a good eye at the plate (more walks than k's) would be nice to have around.

Eh, the point is Weeks will likely go higher than his talent warrants, considering his game doesn't seem like it will transition to the ML to the tune of a first rounder.

Archived