Buck Stuff

ChuckS

I'm still trying to wrap my arms around Reimold who was batting .183 vs LHP hitting for Kim. Buck had 2 chips on the bench for offense, Mancini or Alvarez. We had a 6 man bench and Reimold takes Kim out of the game. Hard to fathom.

Mancini? Why would you hit him in that spot? He has shown absolutely no power to this point, compared to Nolan. Besides Nolan excelled all year as a great platoon guy against lefthanders and a defensive replacement!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bourn had a .314 OBP and a 79 wRC+ this season. The only thing he's qualified to do as a baseball player is run, since apparently he can't even catch.

Since Bourn has come to the O's his slash is .283/.358/.435 with 2 steals in 55 games. Jones is .265/.310/.460. I'm not saying replace Jones with Bourn in the lineup but you have to move Jones lower in the lineup to drive in runs and let Bourn get on base and cause some havoc with steals (Oh that's right Buck doesn't believe in the stolen base or small ball).

Liriano was not a "bullpen guy" either. Starters often come out of the bullpen in crazy playoff games. Randy Johnson closed games in the world series.. AND started them.

Historically Ubaldo's worst inning is his first. BBRef has him at 7.77 ERA. If Buck wants to get cute with matchups, blah, blah blah, OK fine, I guess. I was screaming to bring in Britton like everybody else in the game thread. What's unforgivable to me is bringing in Ubaldo in that situation. If he's going to lean on statistics to support his matchup rationale, then he should have consulted them about Ubaldo's struggles early in games as well. Not that he should need statistics at this point to know that. If not Britton, then Bundy was the choice IMO.

A really terrible way to end the season.

Historically Ubaldo's worst inning is his first. BBRef has him at 7.77 ERA. If Buck wants to get cute with matchups, blah, blah blah, OK fine, I guess. I was screaming to bring in Britton like everybody else in the game thread. What's unforgivable to me is bringing in Ubaldo in that situation. If he's going to lean on statistics to support his matchup rationale, then he should have consulted them about Ubaldo's struggles early in games as well. Not that he should need statistics at this point to know that. If not Britton, then Bundy was the choice IMO.

A really terrible way to end the season.

In Buck's press conf. he said no one has been pitching better the Ubaldo, then maybe he should have started the game in the first place. I would have been fine with that decision.

The bigger issue in that 1995 ALDS Game 5 was leaving David Cone in as long as Buck did. Cone was up 4-2 in the 8th with 1 out when Griffey hit the solo homer. Cone got Edgar to ground out but then surrendered a walk, hit, walk, and then a bases loaded walk to tie the game.....on his 147th pitch. I couldn't believe he left Cone in there like that....

I was surprised Zach did not come in for Brach but that worked out. I was really surprised he did not come in for Ubaldo to face Encarnacion though.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MLB playoffs 2016: Buck Showalter's pants catch fire as he explains not using Zach Britton <a href="https://t.co/YMTJ4xiTBB">https://t.co/YMTJ4xiTBB</a> <a href="https://t.co/We9LteETtB">pic.twitter.com/We9LteETtB</a></p>— Sporting News MLB (@SN_Baseball) <a href="

">October 5, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe they can buy Buck a beer next time he is in Toronto. If the mindless hosers can refrain from throwing it at him, that is.

Our bandwagoners are extremely stupid people, but we're not all like that. Vast majority of us hope he gets charged with assault.

Like I said this game will be Buck's legacy. Buck's name will become synonymous with bad managing decisions. People saying he shouldn't be fired are not being realistic. He should be fired. There is no excuse for doing something so stupid.

The hitting coach said long ago that this isn't a way you can continue to win ball games, Buck should start sitting guys who only try to hit home runs and strike out a ton.

Can we bat Kim 9 times? I'm not defending Buck; he was awful last night, he doesn't rest players through the season or hold them accountable. He clearly doesn't like Kim. All true. Still, I don't know that any of that matters considering these guys are terrible hackers. All the love for Jones; I never understood it. As if it's not bad enough Adam is horrid at the plate, he's ruining Manny and Schoop.

Archived