Nightmare Draft Scenario

D-Rays take Alvarez

Pirates take Matusz

KC takes Smoak

Who do you take ?

PS - coin flip between T-Bex and Posey myself

Why would this be a nightmare scenario? I would take Tim Beckham and be very excited about the pick. I realize people are a bit scared off because Snyder and Rowell haven't been an instant success, but Beckham is worth it. I think the Orioles reached a bit on Snyder and I think Rowell will eventually pan out. A lot of people consider T-Bex to be the most talented player in the draft. IMO, that would be a beautiful nightmare.

That being said I still prefer Alvarez, but on my wish list I have Tim Beckham at #2.

Why a nightmare scenario ?

Got to think PA is not going to be happy handing another high schooler a 7 figure contract

T Bex won't be in Baltimore until 2012 at the earliest.

Have to commit super big $$ to an overated #4 hitter ( Tex to Huff , will pick the one whose better days are behind him )

Can we trade the right pitchers to get the big bat ?

While the having the "next" Jeter would be great, I think the O's have a much greater need for the next Eddie Murray without committing 20%+ of the payroll.

I would jump for joy if we somehow landed Tim Beckham.

He's the #1 guy on my draft board.

I have to agree and I read somewhere today (see Keith Law Chat below) that Joe Jordan was one of 4 scouts watching him take BP.

Keith Law Chat - Thursday PM

---------

Shoshana (Chapel Hill): Who do you see the Orioles taking? Any chance T. Beckham falls to them? At some point they need middle infield prospects, are their any currently in the system that I'm missing?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:08 PM ET ) Definitely a chance, if the Pirates take Alvarez. I saw T-Becks take BP yesterday, and four teams were represented - Pittsburgh, Baltimore (Joe Jordan was there), SF, and Florida.

Why a nightmare scenario ?

Got to think PA is not going to be happy handing another high schooler a 7 figure contract

T Bex won't be in Baltimore until 2012 at the earliest.

Have to commit super big $$ to an overated #4 hitter ( Tex to Huff , will pick the one whose better days are behind him )

Can we trade the right pitchers to get the big bat ?

While the having the "next" Jeter would be great, I think the O's have a much greater need for the next Eddie Murray without committing 20%+ of the payroll.

FWIW - Jim Callis of Baseball America has said he expects T-Bex in the majors by 2011.

Of course who really knows but Callis is paid to make those judements so he likely to be closer than we are I would imagine.

FWIW - Jim Callis of Baseball America has said he expects T-Bex in the majors by 2011.

Of course who really knows but Callis is paid to make those judements so he likely to be closer than we are I would imagine.

2011 is best case scenario. Most likely, 2012 would be his arrival year. That is if everything goes smoothly for him.

Archived