CBS predicts that Wieters "unlikely" to get a QO; Trumbo definitely gets one

FanSince88

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Trumbo would almost assuredly reject the QO. Someone will wishcast him into a 3+ win first baseman and sign him to a 4/65 deal.

But what do I know? I still think Wieters would have gotten $30M+ on the open market last year.

Wieters is poised to make more this year, as the only good catchers on the market are him and an injured Wilson Ramos

In context Cruz was a better hitter, and a better outfielder. League OPS was .038 points higher in 2016 than 2014, so it's more like .897 vs .850 by a common baseline.

Cruz was a tiny bit better as a fielder, -1.5 to -2.1, but Trumbo played 26 more games in the OF, than Cruz.

A.897 vs .850, is not a huge difference.

Cruz was a tiny bit better as a fielder, -1.5 to -2.1, but Trumbo played 26 more games in the OF, than Cruz.

A.897 vs .850, is not a huge difference.

Add up the runs. Trumbo was 14 runs better than an average hitter in the context of half your games in OPACY in 2016. He was about 11 runs worse than average in the field. His combination of DH and OF meant that his positional adjustment was -10. And he was a dead even, zero, baserunner. That adds up to 14-11-10+0 = seven runs below average.

Cruz was +30 on offense, +3 in the field, positional adjustment of -11, and he was a -2 baserunner. That's 30+3-11-2 = 20 runs above average, or about 27 runs better than Trumbo, which is just shy of three wins.

Now...maybe you think Cruz' defense isn't fairly represented. I think +3 is suspicious, that's his best mark since 2010. So let's say he's a -5 fielder, which makes him only 19 runs or two wins ahead of Trumbo.

I don't see how any reasonable assumptions put Trumbo within a win and a half of Cruz.

Add up the runs. Trumbo was 14 runs better than an average hitter in the context of half your games in OPACY in 2016. He was about 11 runs worse than average in the field. His combination of DH and OF meant that his positional adjustment was -10. And he was a dead even, zero, baserunner. That adds up to 14-11-10+0 = seven runs below average.

Cruz was +30 on offense, +3 in the field, positional adjustment of -11, and he was a -2 baserunner. That's 30+3-11-2 = 20 runs above average, or about 27 runs better than Trumbo, which is just shy of three wins.

Now...maybe you think Cruz' defense isn't fairly represented. I think +3 is suspicious, that's his best mark since 2010. So let's say he's a -5 fielder, which makes him only 19 runs or two wins ahead of Trumbo.

I don't see how any reasonable assumptions put Trumbo within a win and a half of Cruz.

Ok, I concede to the stat gurus.

Archived