Orioles discussing a qualifying offer to Wieters again this offseason

Tony-OH

Jon Heyman on Today's Knuckleball.com reports that the Orioles "are said to be still debating whether to give a qualifying offer to Matt Wieters."

Heyman notes that their decision could depend on potential changes in the new collective bargaining agreement.

Rotoworld surmises that, Wieters surprisingly accepted the $15.8 million qualifying offer last offseason and then batted a pedestrian .243/.302/.409 with 17 home runs. The qualifying offer is up to $17.2 million this winter, but the O's might still think it's worth the risk to either bring Wieters back for one more year or receive a draft pick if he bolts via free agency.

Thoughts?

Me personally, I don't think you take the chance he accepts the offer. If you can resign Wieters to a friendly 2-year deal in the $20-24 ml range I'd do it, otherwise I'll save some money and see how Sisco looks defensively in the spring. If he;s ready you go with a Sisco/Joseph platoon, if not, you go with a Joseph/Pena option unless they can trade for a catcher this offseason.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jon Heyman on Today's Knuckleball.com reports that the Orioles "are said to be still debating whether to give a qualifying offer to Matt Wieters."

Heyman notes that their decision could depend on potential changes in the new collective bargaining agreement.

Rotoworld surmises that, Wieters surprisingly accepted the $15.8 million qualifying offer last offseason and then batted a pedestrian .243/.302/.409 with 17 home runs. The qualifying offer is up to $17.2 million this winter, but the O's might still think it's worth the risk to either bring Wieters back for one more year or receive a draft pick if he bolts via free agency.

Thoughts?

Me personally, I don't think you take the chance he accepts the offer. If you can resign Wieters to a friendly 2-year deal in the $20-24 ml range I'd do it, otherwise I'll save some money and see how Sisco looks defensively in the spring. If he;s ready you go with a Sisco/Joseph platoon, if not, you go with a Joseph/Pena option unless they can trade for a catcher this offseason.

Since it isn't my money, I would say give Wieters the offer. Then I would sign Hundley as Matt's back-up. IF Joseph is your starter you are in trouble. I would release Joseph at this point. There has to be better options even for Triple A guy in the wings.

Thoughts?

I think Wieters and Boras are going for the contract that will set him up for life. Doubt he accepts the QO or comes back next year. Honestly, I'd want Sisco to be available day one if his bat looks good in ST and have him be mentored under CJ and Pena than play in Norfolk

I would give MW the QO.

He will most likely sign elsewhere since He will be the most attractive free agent catcher on the market with Ramos injured. In this scenario the orioles get the draft pick as compensation.

I don't think Wieters signing the QO would be that much of a disaster. Yeah, His production does not match the 17 million dollar salary. But Sisco is unproven at the ML level and Pena and Joseph are back ups at this point. If they are unable to trade for a catcher, I think that they should look at a guy like Kurt Suzuki on a one year deal. I'd rather have Cisco start the year in Triple A and have either Wieters or a guy like Suzuki as a mentor at some point next season than to have him split duties with Pena or Joseph.

I think Wieters and Boras are going for the contract that will set him up for life. Doubt he accepts the QO or comes back next year. Honestly, I'd want Sisco to be available day one if his bat looks good in ST and have him be mentored under CJ and Pena than play in Norfolk

Who is going to give a 32-year old catcher in decline a huge contract?

$17 mil is a lot for a 700 OPS catcher with I guess slightly above average defense, but O's don't have many options. I really don't think Sisco is ready and may never be good enough on defense for Buck to play him at catcher. Caleb is a AAAA guy, he should be a backup or the guy you bring up from AAA when someone goes down.

I think we sign a backup, offer Weiters the QO, and if he turns it down, sign a FA catcher and let Sisco battle it out with Caleb and other FAs to earn the starting spot.

I don't think it's crazy that some team could offer Weiters 4 years/60mil or something along those lines.

Thoughts?

I would offer him the QO. I agree that a 2 year deal as you outline would be best, but I doubt he would take it. He will either take the $17 mil for one year or cash in larger than that on the open market if we don't slap him with a QO.

The question is do we honestly think that the money freed up by letting Wieters go will be enough to make up for the drop in production at C. I don't see it, mainly because one year of $17 mil isn't a ton of payroll flexibility. It's likely not enough to allow us to sign a very good OF to a multi-year deal.

I say take the plunge, put Mancini in at DH then try to cobble together RF as best we can. I do think Wieters will be more likely to decline the QO offer this year to see what he can get because he's not getting younger. Or, perhaps we can work out a Fowler-like deal with him that the Cubs did this offseason. It makes more sense to have Wieters come off the books next year along with Ubaldo, Gallardo and Miley so we have a ton of cash to play with.

I don't think it's crazy that some team could offer Weiters 4 years/60mil or something along those lines.

Crazier things have happened, but Wieters has been worth 3.8 rWAR over the last four years combined, or roughly $25M. He's 30. Even if you give him extra credit for being past the injury and leadership and whatever, I have a hard time with half of the total value you're suggesting.

Didn't 15.8 mill set him up for life??? This notion of set for life is tiring...It was used for Davis last year and by other before. I believe he would take a 17.2 offer...if he even has a similar year, some one next year would likely offer him a 2/24 contract which would be equivalent to 3/41. I think Buck will have a big say in the matter. Boras would want at least a 3/40 deal. I am pretty neutral on 2-3 year deals. Davis like deals are another story.

Who is going to give a 32-year old catcher in decline a huge contract?

Matt Wieters is younger now than Russell Martin when the Blue Jays gave him his 5 years and $82m. And he's a year older than Brian McCann when he got 5 years and $85m from the Yankees.

Of course Wieters isn't quite up to that caliber of catcher (at least, offensively), but that can be debated. I would expect Boras to get a 4 or 5 year deal for him, though having a QO hanging over his head would definitely hurt his leverage.

I'm about 50/50 on it. Since it seems like Ole Pete is going to spend money, I say let's put the best team together that we can, worst case scenario Wieters comes back for one more ride.

Archived