Orioles discussing a qualifying offer to Wieters again this offseason

Tony-OH

Crazier things have happened, but Wieters has been worth 3.8 rWAR over the last four years combined, or roughly $25M. He's 30. Even if you give him extra credit for being past the injury and leadership and whatever, I have a hard time with half of the total value you're suggesting.

Not many multi-year Free Agent contracts are a good value for the club. I can't think of many off the top of my head besides Matt Holliday (worth 20.7 rWAR over the course of his 7 year deal, though his last two seasons were pretty meager in comparison). I still can't believe the Orioles gave Davis as much as they did, so I'm prepared to see Wieters get much more than I would normally expect.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Wieters and Boras are going for the contract that will set him up for life. Doubt he accepts the QO or comes back next year. Honestly, I'd want Sisco to be available day one if his bat looks good in ST and have him be mentored under CJ and Pena than play in Norfolk

He's set for life already.

We need draft picks to restock the farm' date=' but 17M + for Wieters is too rich for my blood. This team is expensive and we need some flexibility and risking that much for an average 30yrs+ catcher is not as good idea IMO.[/quote']

Here's the thing, though; Wieters and Boras know the market for catchers is thin. There may be no better time for him to cash in on his mediocrity.

I can't see him accepting a QO. And getting a pick for him at this stage would be "yuge".

Here's the thing, though; Wieters and Boras know the market for catchers is thin. There may be no better time for him to cash in on his mediocrity.

I can't see him accepting a QO. And getting a pick for him at this stage would be "yuge".

I'm with you here. I'd gamble with $17M for a draft pick and if he sticks around we'll have the position set. If we take a step forward as a ball club it will be because Bundy and KG improvements anyway. I think we have enough power and can supplement the loss of Trumbo with less expensive OBP needs.

Please, no more Wieters. The guys is not worth anything close to 17.2. He wasn't worth 15.8m this past year.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...well you're not going to get fooled again." At least I hope not.

Please, no more Wieters. The guys is not worth anything close to 17.2. He wasn't worth 15.8m this past year.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...well you're not going to get fooled again." At least I hope not.

If you do the math, and his 1.7 WAR times 8.5 per 1.0 WAR, you get 14.45 million, slight overpay, but not significant.

If you do the math, and his 1.7 WAR times 8.5 per 1.0 WAR, you get 14.45 million, slight overpay, but not significant.

And why does anyone care if he is overpaid? There is no salary cap in baseball. DD doesn't have a set budget. If it were my team I would sign everyone to league minimum and just rake in the cash. Like I said it isn't my money so I hope we offer him the QO. We have Sisco in the wings if you sign another starting catcher he will want a multi-year deal. We have no one else capable of being the starting catcher. So QO makes sense.

And why does anyone care if he is overpaid? There is no salary cap in baseball. DD doesn't have a set budget. If it were my team I would sign everyone to league minimum and just rake in the cash. Like I said it isn't my money so I hope we offer him the QO. We have Sisco in the wings if you sign another starting catcher he will want a multi-year deal. We have no one else capable of being the starting catcher. So QO makes sense.

I think $17M for Wieters would severely handicap this team's financial flexibility. See my thread about trying to fill out the roster for $10M.

I'm a big Matt Wieters fan but I think it's time to move on. He's not worth sacrificing some of our other young talent that we need to pay more to lock up.

I would give MW the QO.

He will most likely sign elsewhere since He will be the most attractive free agent catcher on the market with Ramos injured. In this scenario the orioles get the draft pick as compensation.

I don't think Wieters signing the QO would be that much of a disaster. Yeah, His production does not match the 17 million dollar salary. But Sisco is unproven at the ML level and Pena and Joseph are back ups at this point. If they are unable to trade for a catcher, I think that they should look at a guy like Kurt Suzuki on a one year deal. I'd rather have Cisco start the year in Triple A and have either Wieters or a guy like Suzuki as a mentor at some point next season than to have him split duties with Pena or Joseph.

Yeah, I'd be ok either way.

Archived