Bullpen Coach Dom Chiti Leaving Orginization

Can_of_corn

The O's should have had the courtesy to return Chiti's phone calls while the matter was pending. Is that too much to ask?

I don't ever view the Orioles as doing things 'Gentlemanly' ever in context of our front office and that is sad for me to say.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was all DD and I am guessing it comes from Chiti not really answering the question, yes or no, on the Pitching Coach job. DD probably took that differently then other people. He's yes or no person, not very understanding of nuance.

Or DD wanted him out so he could hire a Pitching coach that wanted to bring in his own bullpen guy.

Sounds likely.

This was all DD and I am guessing it comes from Chiti not really answering the question, yes or no, on the Pitching Coach job. DD probably took that differently then other people. He's yes or no person, not very understanding of nuance.

Or DD wanted him out so he could hire a Pitching coach that wanted to bring in his own bullpen guy.

Good observations. If I asked someone if they were interested in a high-level position, and they said: "Well, I'm not going to go after it. But I'm open to listening to offers," or something... If I were the hiring manager, I'd probably be a little turned off by that. It sounds like Dom tried to play it a little too cool as well. So there could be some weirdness on both sides.

It is unfortunate to see that turnover again, especially if there weren't issues. Best of luck to Dom and Dave... but I suspect we'll find some good people to fill those shoes.

Now, as for Scott Coolbaugh... I'm thinking Atlanta might need a hitting instructor as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dom Chiti said he called Dan Duquette 3 times, didn't get a return. Duq said not the case. Now Chiti's a Brave: <a href="https://t.co/072zbKayC5">https://t.co/072zbKayC5</a></p>? Dan Connolly (@danconnolly2016) <a href="
">November 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

First off, that was a really throughout and outstanding piece of reporting by Connolly. Got a quote from everyone involved. Really rare to see that kind of reporting nowadays. Good work by him there.

It seems strange that Duquette would say he never got the calls from Chiti, but I know that Duquette is not really known for being too responsive at times. It seems ashamed that Chiti wasn't kept because it seems like he had a good relationship with his pitchers and the bullpen has been outstanding since he's been here.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, but it seems like a situation that should have never happened. It speaks well of Chiti that he was given a job so quickly. For a guy who doesn't go out of his way to try and get a job, a job found him pretty fast.

Agree...

Roch's interview with Chiti: http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/11/chiti-disappointed-that-hes-leaving-orioles.html

I'm not at all happy with the way this went down. There have been too many stories like this.

After reading that here is my take from that article:

Buck called and asked if he was interested in the PC job. He responded with of course I am, look at my resume.

Buck then asked him about working under Roger Mcdowell.

I think our plan was to have Mcdowell has PC and Chiti as BP coach. Dom obiviously wanted the PC job. Didn't get it so he took a higher paying position with the braves.

I'm guessing that we're going to hire Mcdowell has our pitching coach and let him bring in his own guy for BP coach, now that Chiti is gone. In the end it all works out for everyone. I don't think it's as bad as it seemed when I first saw all this.

After reading that here is my take from that article:

Buck called and asked if he was interested in the PC job. He responded with of course I am, look at my resume.

Buck then asked him about working under Roger Mcdowell.

I think our plan was to have Mcdowell has PC and Chiti as BP coach. Dom obiviously wanted the PC job. Didn't get it so he took a higher paying position with the braves.

I'm guessing that we're going to hire Mcdowell has our pitching coach and let him bring in his own guy for BP coach, now that Chiti is gone. In the end it all works out for everyone. I don't think it's as bad as it seemed when I first saw all this.

Do Buck and Mcdowell have any history together?

I really think DD wanted Chiti gone, but Buck did not. I mean really DD controls negotiations, so not making an offer is how you make sure something you don't want to happen never occurs as a GM.

This has happened to a lot of people dealing with DD.

Pearce

Markakis

Roberts

And if you look at free agency, this is their whole approach too. DD sits on his hands till the last minute looking for value. I would say the only exception is if Angelos gives him a mandate..which I think happened with Wieters, Davis, and Oday last year.

I think was most have missed.

The Braves President of Operations John Hart is a close and personal friend of Chiti.

I also find it strange, that according to Chiti, he didn't answer Buck's question about if he wanted the pitching coach's job.

and he also asked me about my interest in being pitching coach. My reply to that was, ‘Buck, I’m not going to answer that. I’m not a politician. You know my body of work. I’ve always been the kind of guy, give me a job and leave me alone and let me do it and then evaluate how I do.’ That was the conversation

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/11/chiti-disappointed-that-hes-leaving-orioles.html

To me..here is what I think he was saying (political part is key)..

I think he is saying that knows of others in the organization who are younger or an an upward career arc and may want the job. Being older, and comfortable where he is, he does not want to be seen as lobbying and blocking others from the job. He is fine being being the bullpen coach. However if Buck wanted him to be pitching coach, he feels he is more than capable.

Then he asks DD where his contract is to keep his current job and gets no answer.

I think was most have missed.

The Braves President of Operations John Hart is a close and personal friend of Chiti.

I also find it strange, that according to Chiti, he didn't answer Buck's question about if he wanted the pitching coach's job.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/11/chiti-disappointed-that-hes-leaving-orioles.html

To me..here is what I think he was saying (political part is key)..

I think he is saying that knows of others in the organization who are younger or an an upward career arc and may want the job. Being older, and comfortable where he is, he does not want to be seen as lobbying and blocking others from the job. He is fine being being the bullpen coach. However if Buck wanted him to be pitching coach, he feels he is more than capable.

Then he asks DD where his contract is to keep his current job and gets no answer.

I dont buy that. Buck is his long time friend. Buck says, are you interested in the job, before i hire somebody else? And you get that no answer response.

Archived