How much will Chance Sisco influence the 2017 roster?

wildcard

I believe he played SS in HS so the athleticism is there. I think he could handle the OF.

Yep, he moved from SS to catcher.

I think who the Orioles sign, what happens with the Rule 5, along with who stays in the majors (Joseph or Pena) will determine what happens. If they keep Joseph up, they will have Pena, Perez, and possibly Sisco in Norfolk. Wynns has been showing improvements and will likely start in Bowie unless he is drafted in the Rule 5, along with possibly Chris Shaw until Chris O'Brien comes back from his suspension. Alex Murphy will probably go to Frederick. Wynston Sawyer just signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers, so that frees up a catcher spot. Then there are about 8 catchers available behind Murphy, not to mention whatever they plan on doing with Yermin Mercedes.

If they keep all these guys, Sisco would be a 3rd catcher in AAA, on a roster that currently has almost 0 outfielders, until they start signing. They could DH him to keep his bat going, they could move him to the outfield to give him work (ala Christian Walker), or make him the primary catcher and see what happens.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think who the Orioles sign, what happens with the Rule 5, along with who stays in the majors (Joseph or Pena) will determine what happens. If they keep Joseph up, they will have Pena, Perez, and possibly Sisco in Norfolk. Wynns has been showing improvements and will likely start in Bowie unless he is drafted in the Rule 5, along with possibly Chris Shaw until Chris O'Brien comes back from his suspension. Alex Murphy will probably go to Frederick. Wynston Sawyer just signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers, so that frees up a catcher spot. Then there are about 8 catchers available behind Murphy, not to mention whatever they plan on doing with Yermin Mercedes.

If they keep all these guys, Sisco would be a 3rd catcher in AAA, on a roster that currently has almost 0 outfielders, until they start signing. They could DH him to keep his bat going, they could move him to the outfield to give him work (ala Christian Walker), or make him the primary catcher and see what happens.

Sisco is the O's #1 prospect. No doubt the O's will place him where he will get the most experience at his position and other catchers will be moved around/released to make room.

• 2 weeks later...
On November 14, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think that Sisco will be placed above Perez and Wynns just due to prospect status. Whenever I go to Norfolk, I don't see Wynns that often; so I'm not a good judge on him. 

7 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think that Sisco will be placed above Perez and Wynns just due to prospect status. Whenever I go to Norfolk, I don't see Wynns that often; so I'm not a good judge on him. 

Wynns was in Norfolk only slightly longer than Sisco and will probably be the starter in Bowie.

Sisco would be above Perez due to his status, but it would make for a crowded Norfolk if they have Perez, Pena, and Sisco there if a veteran gets signed to platoon with Joseph. With Pena being on the 40, it'd be interesting to see how they handle having all 3 there.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wynns was in Norfolk only slightly longer than Sisco and will probably be the starter in Bowie.

Sisco would be above Perez due to his status, but it would make for a crowded Norfolk if they have Perez, Pena, and Sisco there if a veteran gets signed to platoon with Joseph. With Pena being on the 40, it'd be interesting to see how they handle having all 3 there.

I think if Sisco comes up this season that Pena goes off the 40 man. If not, then whoever is platooning with Joseph is gone when Sisco comes up next offseason. 

Archived