Angel Pagan is not the answer for the O's

wildcard

Dan Connolly, who I respect as a writer with knowledge of the O's,  has written an article suggesting that Angel Pagan is the answer to the O's right field problems.  At least on a platoon basis.   In my view Dan is wrong.

Though I can see his economic argument and Pagan's .352 OBP vs righties last year has some attraction,  Pagan takes the O's in the wrong direction.  Signing him for a year is not solving the right field  problem.  Its putting a old bandaid  on  the position instead on building with a young player. Adding 35/36 year old player to  a veteran team takes it down a path that the O's have seen before on their way to a long team losing streak.  I say don't go there.

Here is my argument against Pagan:

1)  He is not a right fielder.  He has rarely played there in his 11 major league seasons.  I don't think he has the arm for it.  And he is not a good enough player to put in center and move Jones to right.  I think that would be an insult to Jones.

2) He is a career National League player.  He is not familiar with the AL pitchers and would probably take half a season to adjust.  So forget the high OBP until  at least he 2nd half.

3) His ability to steal bases has decreased since 2012.  He  may be better than what the O's have in this department but he is not what the O's need.

4) Adding a mid 30's player to a veteran team is going the wrong direction.

While I agree with Dan that the O's are not a position to spend big to fix right field, my preference is to solve the right field problem with a young player that improves over time.  That is why I like Roman Quinn of the Phillies.  Even if it cost the O's Mychal  Givens.  

Just my two cents.

Here is Dan Connolly's article:

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/11/29/not-sexy-buy-heres-free-agent-fit-orioles/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I am in love with Pagan, but a band-aid might be all we can realistically expect at this point. Unfortunately we have almost $30M devoted to Ubaldo/Gallardo, and $17M for Davis plus Miley and all the arbitration guys. 

The NL/AL thing could work the other way--if he starts off hot, it's possible the pitchers will have to adjust to him. I don't know if new league adjustment is a real thing or not.

If not Pagan, I think we are more likely looking at somebody like Markakis than Cespedes/Fowler or even Saunders.

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Not that I am in love with Pagan, but a band-aid might be all we can realistically expect at this point. Unfortunately we have almost $30M devoted to Ubaldo/Gallardo, and $17M for Davis plus Miley and all the arbitration guys. 

The NL/AL thing could work the other way--if he starts off hot, it's possible the pitchers will have to adjust to him. I don't know if new league adjustment is a real thing or not.

If not Pagan, I think we are more likely looking at somebody like Markakis than Cespedes/Fowler or even Saunders.

I think anybody better than Pagan is going to be too costly.

Question is, do you bring in Pagan, or roll with the younger guys in the system?

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Corn,

You know damn well who is in the system.

I am not in favor of seeing if any of those can do the job.

You cant afford Trumbo or any of the other high priced FAs.

Then you dont have many options left.

I don't see anything in the system that looks like an answer.

Dan would have better luck dumpster diving.

If they are not rebuilding.  If they are going to try and win the WS, which they are, then there is no reason a "band aid" isn't the way to go.  In fact there are several reasons a band aid is preferable.

1.  Low Cost.  Self Explanatory.

2.  Short Contract.  The worst thing a rebuilding team can have is a veteran locking up a position who must be started to justify salary because they were signed to a 3+ year deal.

3.  Specifically Tailored.  The Orioles know what they need, they know what the team strengths and weaknesses are.  Finding a player who fits their needs and honestly anot already powerful offense is exactly what they should be doing.

I don't know if the right guy is Pagani.  But if he signs for a short, cheap contract maybe it's a right fit.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I cant disagree.

I didnt say there was.

IMO, you fill in with somebody like Pagan or dumpster dive, or roll the dice with the in-org guys.

What I was trying to say is that I don't see how you can start the season with an in-house guy.  Not on a team with playoff aspirations.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What I was trying to say is that I don't see how you can start the season with an in-house guy.  Not on a team with playoff aspirations.

I am usually bullish and try and think the best, especially during the off-season, when ST hasn't come close to starting.

This team was a playoff contender, but losing the bat of Trumbo and the catching skills of MW, leaves me with some concerns.

Camden Chat (I think that's what it's called) had an write up about Chris Coghlan.  He was awful for half a season in Oakland, but could be a Duquette buy low/Showalter out-opportunity guy.  I'd add him to El Gordo's list of Jay, Joyce, and Pagan.

If you carry Coghlan, you could also get by without carrying Flaherty.

Archived