How About Justin Ruggiano?

Number5

Cheap option for a right-handed bat that can play all 3 outfield positions pretty well.  He turns 35 in April, so he's obviously not a long-term option, but for this year as a platoon/defensive replacement guy he seems to fit, IMO.  Has some pop and some speed.  Isn't he pretty much what the Orioles have hoped Reimold would be?  Had shoulder surgery in September, and I haven't been able to find anything on whether he will be ready in time for spring training, so we would obviously need an answer on that if we were to consider him.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

The same guy that started 9 games this season in the majors and played half a season in the PCL while hitting just .229.  

Yes.  I'd like to think that MLB clubs will evaluate players with all the facts and in much greater detail, though.  Hopefully the surgery has repaired the shoulder.

Naturally, a Fowler or a Desmond would be fabulous.  I'm trying to look at possibilities that are potentially realistic, however.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd rather just go with Bourn.  Are guys like Ruggiano, R.Davis, Joyce, really that much better than Bourn?  IMO Bourn is a great fit for the team we have.  

Not better - different.  Ruggiano hits right handed.  Isn't that what we are looking for?  I could see both Bourn and Ruggiano on the team, actually, especially if MLB goes to a 26-man  roster.

4 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The same guy that started 9 games this season in the majors and played half a season in the PCL while hitting just .229.  

If they signed him to a minor-league deal I don't care if they even give them an invite I would in no way want to waste a 40 man roster spot 1 AMIf they signed him to a minor-league deal I don't care if they even give them an invite I would in no way want to waste a 40 man roster spot.

Archived