New QO System

MDtransplant757

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm torn, on one had it appears to be giving an advantage to big market teams.  On the other hand you have certain small market teams that greatly abuse the current system to line their owner's pockets.

I'd much rather see this come to pass than an International draft.

I think it hurt FA's more than giving an advantage to a big market team. We need to see this system in action theoretically before anything else

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How does it hurt Free Agents?

The team's with the most to spend have a smaller penalty to sign them.

It isn't as good as getting rid of compensation entirely of course but that's a given.

The way I read it, teams with the most to spend have their highest pick drop 5 spots in the draft if they sign a QO free agent, and the have-not teams are not penalized if they sign one.  The team losing the player (rich or poor) receives a comp pick.  I don't think that means that the rich teams have a smaller penalty.  Am I missing something?

I think the players win this one and the lost pick for signing a QO goes away.  It actually has its benefits to the small market teams because players are less likely to accept the QO if there is a bigger market.  I don't really think we wanted to pay MW 15 million last year, same thing with the Astros and Rasmus.  Neither of those players take the QO if they don't have a lost pick tied to them.  

It has it's negatives and positives for the small market teams.  But really if a big market team has to drop down 5 spots they will just go overslot on their first pick.  The little I know about the mlb draft is that it's unlike the other sports, the best players don't go in order.  Lots of manipulating the system.  

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

The way I read it, teams with the most to spend have their highest pick drop 5 spots in the draft if they sign a QO free agent, and the have-not teams are not penalized if they sign one.  The team losing the player (rich or poor) receives a comp pick.  I don't think that means that the rich teams have a smaller penalty.  Am I missing something?

The rich teams, the ones who sign high priced free agents, don't lose their first round pick any longer. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

The rich teams, the ones who sign high priced free agents, don't lose their first round pick any longer. 

Right.  As I understand it, no team would ever lose their highest draft pick under the new proposal, but the rich teams would see that pick moved back five spots.  No?

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Instead of losing it. 

Agreed.  All I was saying is that the rich teams are not being penalized less than the poor teams.  They are, in fact, the only teams that are going to be penalized under the new proposal, with the poor teams receiving no penalty if they sign a QOFA.

9 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Agreed.  All I was saying is that the rich teams are not being penalized less than the poor teams.  They are, in fact, the only teams that are going to be penalized under the new proposal, with the poor teams receiving no penalty if they sign a QOFA.

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm torn, on one had it appears to be giving an advantage to big market teams.  On the other hand you have certain small market teams that greatly abuse the current system to line their owner's pockets.

I'd much rather see this come to pass than an International draft.

I'd be happy if the signing team just slipped to the bottom of the round. Rather than lose the pick they drop to the bottom of the round and the position of the team losing the position would be rated by a grading of the free agent

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I'd be happy if the signing team just slipped to the bottom of the round. Rather than lose the pick they drop to the bottom of the round and the position of the team losing the position would be rated by a grading of the free agent

Who grades the free agent.  Pecota?

49 minutes ago, weams said:

Who grades the free agent.  Pecota?

I'm flexible ... As long as the ratings were the same. Even better would be that the team losing the free agent gets the actual pick with the signing team dropping to the bottom of the round. If the teams signs more than one the second team or the team losing the lower rated player would then get a pick at the end of round one with the signing team dropping the next highest pick to the end of that round.

Archived