Small but Positive Change with the Bargaining Agreement

gmelson26

Of course the luxury tax and international signing payroll issues will be discussed, but I wanted to address a small change that I think will help teams like the Orioles (even if only in a minor way): 4 more rest days are added to the schedule.  The players asked for this due to fatigue and injury related issues, but I think on the macro-level it helps the club.

For teams like the O's who will have a weaker starting rotation, 4 additional days off will add spots to the schedule were we might not have to trot out a AAA reliever to act as a 5th starter.  So perhaps we'll see the Tyler Wilson's of the world start games a tad less for us.

Additionally, our pitching strength lays in our bullpen.  With 4 more days off in the schedule, Buck will be able to use our big guns, Britton, Brach, O'Day, Givens, more often as there will be a few more days of rest afforded by the schedule.

I'm not saying this will let us print the playoff tickets or anything.  But I do think it's an under-the-radar change to the schedule that will help a bit.

Edit: A note I did not state originally- these changes will not effect the 2017 season, but start in 2018.

5 hours ago, gmelson26 said:

Of course the luxury tax and international signing payroll issues will be discussed, but I wanted to address a small change that I think will help teams like the Orioles (even if only in a minor way): 4 more rest days are added to the schedule.  The players asked for this due to fatigue and injury related issues, but I think on the macro-level it helps the club.

For teams like the O's who will have a weaker starting rotation, 4 additional days off will add spots to the schedule were we might not have to trot out a AAA reliever to act as a 5th starter.  So perhaps we'll see the Tyler Wilson's of the world start games a tad less for us.

Additionally, our pitching strength lays in our bullpen.  With 4 more days off in the schedule, Buck will be able to use our big guns, Britton, Brach, O'Day, Givens, more often as there will be a few more days of rest afforded by the schedule.

I'm not saying this will let us print the playoff tickets or anything.  But I do think it's an under-the-radar change to the schedule that will help a bit.

Don't forget that Buck tends to run his guys out there everyday barring suspensions and injuries.

These extra four days might be all that Manny and Schoop get.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't forget that Buck tends to run his guys out there everyday barring suspensions and injuries.

These extra four days might be all that Manny and Schoop get.

No joke. Schoop played in all 162 games last year. Machado and Davis 157. Trumbo 159, Jones 152 and playing through obvious pain at times.  Buck really needs to use his bench more. Especially infielders. . 

Archived