Orioles interested in Curtis Granderson? (Heating up with Brach as a target)

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's alright but it's just a band-aid.  It doesn't provide a long term solution.  If we get Granderson or Pagan they're just a stop gap for the next year or two while we hover around .500 with an inconsistent offense that's fun to watch when they're clubbing homers but infuriating when they're swinging out of their shoes and getting shut out.

Looks like we're just trying to tread water this offseason.

Anything they do has a shelf life before 2019. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would look into moving Brach in a deal for him.    How about Granderson and Lugo for Brach and Walker.  They need help in the back end of the pen and Brach fills that need.  It also gives them a first baseman along with a little bit of salary relief.  We could put Lugo in the pen to start the year as a long man to limit innings and then put him in rotation in 18 or middle of 17.

11 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

I was an advocate for CG last year when the Mets signed Cespedes and De Aza. Still an advocate for him.

See if the Mets would take one of the high-priced pitchers (Miley, Gallardo, Ubaldo) which they may want after losing Colon. See if one of the pitchers plus Walker would get it done. I would be willing to expand the deal to include Drake if necessary as well.

What do you think Tony?

That would be what i would try to do. They might have some interest in Miley but I would try to move Gallardo or Ubaldo for him and maybe include a C level prospect like Bridwell or Walker to close the deal. They probably want to shed salary after the Cespedes signing so moving Granderson makes some sense, especially since he really can't play CF any more.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

That would be what i would try to do. They might have some interest in Miley but I would try to move Gallardo or Ubaldo for him and maybe include a C level prospect like Bridwell or Walker to close the deal.

Why would they want Miley, Gallardo or Ubaldo? They can probably do better than a C prospect, and any of those pitchers would be negatives.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Why would they want Miley, Gallardo or Ubaldo? They can probably do better than a C prospect, and any of those pitchers would be negatives.

Well, like what was said before, they are losing Colon and they have some injury concerns among their other SP candidates. Ubaldo and Miley are at least not injury risks and might be much better in the National League. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, like what was said before, they are losing Colon and they have some injury concerns among their other SP candidates. Ubaldo and Miley are at least not injury risks and might be much better in the National League. 

I agree and though the young guys came up and pitched rather well they have always seemed to like a veteran in the rotation to help out with the young guys.  That is why they kept Colon.   They have a lot of guys coming off injuries so they may limit their innings as well.

10 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Robert Gsellman, Seth Lugo, Zack Wheeler and a couple other guys. They aren't going to trade a good hitter for a terrible pitcher when they have plenty of pitching and no hitting. 

Those guys pitched well in the majors but it was a short stint.  They have not been impressive in the minors though so I don't think they really can count on them long haul.  Both Gsellman and Lugo had awful years in AAA this year and only brought up because of necessity they didn't earn a promotion.

I did a little research on the Mets to see what the deal was with Verrett and Granderson/Bruce.  We got Verrett because they were under a 40 man roster crunch.  They were at their limit of 40 guys with Verrett.  This was because they had to protect like 5 guys from the rule 5 draft, and still left a guy like Phillip Evans exposed.  So since they were at 40 they were going to have to DFA someone whenever they signed someone.  

My opinion is that Bruce is just a straight salary dump.  He's the one they want to trade, but he might be untradeable.  Granderson is kind of a salary dump but has value because he can play CF and his reasonable productive for his cost.  

Their rotation appears to be a good 6-7 deep, but Colon led them in innings last year.  The other big 4 missed a ton of starts.  But they aren't hurting for SP's to the point where they would be interested in Ubaldo/Gallardo/Miley too much.  

They have a big question mark if their closer Familia will be suspended or not.  He should be suspended 30 games like Chapman got.  The suspension shouldn't make them do anything drastic.  The have pretty good bullpen depth.  Here's what my trades for Bruce and Granderson would be:

Bruce for Gallardo.  

13 million for 13 million.  Each team turns their existing bad contract into a player that would be more useful to them.

Granderson for Gallardo, Peralta/Pelluffo, Messinger

O's take on 2 million extra in salary, but get a better fit than Bruce.  Mets have to get back guys that aren't on the 40 man so Peralta/Pelluffo/Messinger fit the bill.  They get flexibility and two arms that they wont have  to add to their 40 man right away.  

Granderson and Duda for Gallardo, Peralta/Pelluffo

O's would take on an additional 9 million in payroll.  This would pretty much be our offseason.  No bringing back Pedro Alvarez.  No Trumbo.  Our team would be pretty much set. Granderson in RF and Duda would platoon with Mancini at DH.  The mets do this for salary relief and flexibility.  They could shift Bruce to 1B.  Duda is coming off a down year and is projected to get almost 7 million in arb.  He could even be a non tender candidate.  

24 minutes ago, VeveJones007 said:

People are underrating Granderson's value in this thread. The Mets will be able to move him for a decent piece without having to take on a bad contract like Ubaldo or Gallardo.

Yup.   The guy gets on base and hits the long ball.   Nice combination that would seem to be a welcome addition to most teams.

10 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Yup.   The guy gets on base and hits the long ball.   Nice combination that would seem to be a welcome addition to most teams.

He'll also be 36 in '17 and has one year of team control. A salary dump, or very minimal prospect sure, but I wouldnt trade anything of value for him. I'd rather they sign Pagan if they are looking for an aging OF to leadoff. The Orioles reportedly dont like Bruce, but at least he's 6 years younger. 

Archived