Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's paid Trumbo 9m last year and considered it a bargain.   He hit 47 homers and drove in over a 100.   They increase the salary offer by 4m.   I think that level on interest is understandable.

In a different market, $13 AAV would be considered a reasonable deal for Trumbo.  It's just that this market has a backlog of hitters that makes his cost unappealing.

2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Just got a ScoreCenter alert saying that Trumbo is willing to sign a 3-year deal with the O's in the $40-50M range. I wouldn't be upset at a 3/42 offer, but that's the low-end of the range. I'd prefer a 3/39 or less though.

So Trumbo is willing to sign a deal with the O's that is, in all probability, better than any other deal coming his way.

Big of him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So Trumbo is willing to sign a deal with the O's that is, in all probability, better than any other deal coming his way.

Big of him.

Yeah, that's how I read it, too. But it's hilarious to me that his agent cost him ~$30M by not signing the $70M deal that was on the table a month ago. 

4 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Yeah, that's how I read it, too. But it's hilarious to me that his agent cost him ~$30M by not signing the $70M deal that was on the table a month ago. 

What $70 mm deal was that?   I haven't heard about it.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What $70 mm deal was that?   I haven't heard about it.   

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

What 70 M deal was that?

The article has a passage that states, "Trumbo's willingness to accept a three-year deal worth under $50 million has apparently created room for the sides to negotiate again after the Orioles took an offer in the range of $70 million - $75 million off the table in mid-December."

Who knows how legit that figure is, but I think ScoreCenter (or whatever they call themselves now) is as legitimate of a news outlet as there is right now.

Archived