Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

Mark Trumbo - OF - Orioles

Mark Trumbo recently told the Orioles he would be willing to accept a three-year deal in the $40-50 million range, per FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.

Trumbo reportedly rejected a four-year, $52-55 million offer from the Orioles back in November, hoping that he would find much more lucrative proposals as the offseason rolled along. But that kind of market simply has not developed for 31-year-old slugger. There is known to be some level of interest from the Rockies, Rangers, and Athletics, and the Cardinals and Mariners were loosely linked to Trumbo earlier this winter. He led the major leagues in homers last year with 47, but Trumbo carries very limited defensive capabilities and he is tied to draft pick compensation.

Source: FOX Sports
Jan 12 - 12:56 PM

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Mark Trumbo recently told the Orioles he would be willing to accept a three-year deal in the $40-50 million range, per FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.

Trumbo reportedly rejected a four-year, $52-55 million offer from the Orioles back in November, hoping that he would find much more lucrative proposals as the offseason rolled along. But that kind of market simply has not developed for 31-year-old slugger. There is known to be some level of interest from the Rockies, Rangers, and Athletics, and the Cardinals and Mariners were loosely linked to Trumbo earlier this winter. He led the major leagues in homers last year with 47, but Trumbo carries very limited defensive capabilities and he is tied to draft pick compensation.

So he'll take three years for the same salary they offered him for four years? Whatta guy!

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If he's willing to go 3/$40M, we're getting closer to the area that I'd be okay seeing him come back. To me, the top threshold would be 3/$39 with me more comfortable below 3/$36. I know he's a one-dimensional player, but I still think he helps lengthen the lineup. I would be okay with him at $12M/year and would swallow hard and accept if he came back at $13M/year. Of course, I'd prefer Napoli for a year or two who provides OBP and P/PA over Trumbo, but I could get behind bringing Mark back under certain situations that are becoming a bit more realistic. 

2 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

$12M AAV is a far cry from 2/12. I'm not saying that Trumbo is as good as Ortiz, but 2/12 is laughable for his kind of power, even if you think he's totally one-dimensional. 

Also, Ortiz made at least $13M a year since 2007, with the exception of 2011, where he made a mere $12.5M. So I'm not really sure where you're getting your $12M AAV from, considering his last 5 annual salaries were 16/16/15/14/14.5. 

As much as I hate to say this, Ortiz was one of the most underpaid players in the game.    He was a much better player than Trumbo.    If Ortiz was worth $16 mm then Trumbo's worth maybe $8 mm.   But Ortiz was worth a lot more than he got paid.   

8 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

If he's willing to go 3/$40M, we're getting closer to the area that I'd be okay seeing him come back. To me, the top threshold would be 3/$39 with me more comfortable below 3/$36. I know he's a one-dimensional player, but I still think he helps lengthen the lineup. I would be okay with him at $12M/year and would swallow hard and accept if he came back at $13M/year. Of course, I'd prefer Napoli for a year or two who provides OBP and P/PA over Trumbo, but I could get behind bringing Mark back under certain situations that are becoming a bit more realistic. 

I'm not qualified to draw a hard line between 3/$39 million and 3/$40 million.  I just don't know enough about sports team management to be able to determine that one is an acceptable contract, while the other is out of the question for a given player.  To me, if you have exhausted other options and decided that this player is the way you are going to go, I would tend to not let $1 million over three years be the make or break point on whether the deal gets done or not.  Now, if all indications are that the player is out of options and the 3/$36 figure may actually land the guy, well perhaps a harder stance is in order, but, again, I'm just not in a position to know this one way or the other.  Just like I just don't know if Michael Saunders did indeed fail a physical with the Orioles, or even have one for that matter.  He was the guy I had my sights on early on in the off-season, and the news on him has been virtually nonexistent for weeks now.

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm not qualified to draw a hard line between 3/$39 million and 3/$40 million.  I just don't know enough about sports team management to be able to determine that one is an acceptable contract, while the other is out of the question for a given player.  To me, if you have exhausted other options and decided that this player is the way you are going to go, I would tend to not let $1 million over three years be the make or break point on whether the deal gets done or not.  Now, if all indications are that the player is out of options and the 3/$36 figure may actually land the guy, well perhaps a harder stance is in order, but, again, I'm just not in a position to know this one way or the other.  Just like I just don't know if Michael Saunders did indeed fail a physical with the Orioles, or even have one for that matter.  He was the guy I had my sights on early on in the off-season, and the news on him has been virtually nonexistent for weeks now.

My comment wasn't meant to say that 39 was fine, but 40 was out of the question. The 3/$39M figure was simply to break down the yearly pay evenly at $13M per. Obviously, when we're talking numbers this high 13 and 13.3 isn't much of a difference. My comment was more to say that his ask (at least on the very bottom end) is starting to get in line with where I would be content if the Orioles made a deal with him. 

41 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

He isn't going to get it though. He missed his chance when the Orioles offered 4-$50 million. I would not go any higher than 3-$36 million at this point and even that may be too generous given his market.

Archived