Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually love this reasoning.  I think it's hilarious, and I'm perfectly fine with using fan like/dislike as a partial proxy for a player's character.  Fan dislike didn't come out of nowhere; he's kind of shown himself to be a jerk.

10 minutes ago, Hallas said:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/806295816801501184

I actually love this reasoning.  I think it's hilarious, and I'm perfectly fine with using fan like/dislike as a partial proxy for a player's character.  Fan dislike didn't come out of nowhere; he's kind of shown himself to be a jerk.

And we'd love him if he did a bat flip after hitting a HR off Price, Sale, Porcello...etc. I'm sure other fans think Manny is a jerk. 

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

And we'd love him if he did a bat flip after hitting a HR off Price, Sale, Porcello...etc. I'm sure other fans think Manny is a jerk. 

Maybe.  Would we love him if he got knocked out by Rougned Odor because he was mouthing off?  Not sure I would.

No one really liked Belle when he was an Oriole.  They tolerated him.  I don't think you want one of your star players to be merely tolerated by your fan base.

edit: Also, to your point about Machado, he was a draft pick.  He had no choice, and the O's have no choice.  We take what we can.  I also think that Machado is more likeable than Bats.

11 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Maybe.  Would we love him if he got knocked out by Rougned Odor because he was mouthing off?  Not sure I would.

No one really liked Belle when he was an Oriole.  They tolerated him.  I don't think you want one of your star players to be merely tolerated by your fan base.

I don't care if he can fight, as long as he's hitting HR and getting OB at a .370 clip. I don't have to eat dinner with the guy. I can learn to like Bautista for his antics. Chris Davis is a nice guy.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

I don't care if he can fight, as long as he's hitting HR and getting OB at a .370 clip. I don't have to eat dinner with the guy. I can learn to like Bautista for his antics. Chris Davis is a nice guy.

If I were a hiring manager, I'd almost certainly take an A- or B+ candidate that was not an a-hole, over an A candidate that was.

Different strokes I guess.

13 minutes ago, Hallas said:

If I were a hiring manager, I'd almost certainly take an A- or B+ candidate that was not an a-hole, over an A candidate that was.

I agree. But why not just say we don't want to lose a pick. I don't get adding the fans feelings to it.

16 minutes ago, Hallas said:

So you wouldn't want Manny? Cause the perception of him by non-Orioles fans is that he's an A-hole. Atleast by people I know that are fans of other teams.

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

So you wouldn't want Manny? Cause the perception of him by non-Orioles fans is that he's an A-hole. Atleast by people I know that are fans of other teams.

Pre-FA?  Everyone that's pre-FA is an automatic keep unless they break the law and/or commit some horrible faux pas.  For a FA signing or extension? Manny's personality definitely comes into play when considering an extension for him.  He's borderline but I'd keep him.  Wouldn't take Harper for an extension.

Archived