Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, crawjo said:

Was Duquette wrong to throw away a pick for Nelson Cruz in 2014? I feel like you are operating from a premise that states that Bautista is damaged goods, and not a productive player anymore. If true, I find that very bizarre to say the least. 

He was wrong for giving up a first rounder for Ubaldo!

How this situation differs from the Cruz situation.

1.  Organization is in a different place (Much weaker farm system for instance).
  2.  As of right now there is no indication that Bautista will sign a one win contact.
  3.  Second round draft pick isn't nearly as valuable as a first round draft pick.
  4.  Dan will not be able to tag Bautista with a QO due to changes in the CBA.

2 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Was Duquette wrong to throw away a pick for Nelson Cruz in 2014? 

Huge difference.  Cruz cost a 2nd round pick, since we already had signed Ubaldo.  Cruz cost half of the $17 million you are talking about.  Cruz could still net us a first round comp pick the following year, whereas the new CBA prohibits that in Bautista's case.  Night and day, really.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was wrong for giving up a first rounder for Ubaldo!

How this situation differs from the Cruz situation.

1.  Organization is in a different place (Much weaker farm system for instance).
  2.  As of right now there is no indication that Bautista will sign a one win contact.
  3.  Second round draft pick isn't nearly as valuable as a first round draft pick.
  4.  Dan will not be able to tag Bautista with a QO due to changes in the CBA.

LOL.  You are a faster typist than I am.  You said it better, too.  :)

14 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Was Duquette wrong to throw away a pick for Nelson Cruz in 2014? I feel like you are operating from a premise that states that Bautista is damaged goods, and not a productive player anymore. If true, I find that very bizarre to say the least. Even with injuries this past year Bautista was a useful hitter. In prior years, he was an elite slugger. I think if he's healthy next year, the chances are good that he will be elite. 

No.  I am operating on the premise that Bautista is not worth $29.5 million.  The Cruz signing was not comparable, as already discussed above prior to your edit. 

16 hours ago, crawjo said:

(for whatever reason...I always think fans of one team speculating about doping on other teams is hypocritical) 

I am only speculating about Bautista. With good reason. Ortiz tested positive and confessed. Before he retracted. 

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I think perhaps that you missed that it was Bautista's rep that first made it public.  After it was out, DD confirmed when asked that, yes, he told that to the rep, and meant it.  He didn't go out of his way to publicly say this, but once the rep put it out there DD wasn't going to deny it.  To me, there is a big distinction there, and Bautista's agent was actually not helping his client by publicizing the conversation.  Reading what fans on message boards across the country posted at the time it was nearly unanimously:  "Yeah, we don't want him on our team, either."  Meanwhile, the guy remains unsigned.

Did you read my post? Duquette should have NEVER shared that tidbit with his agent. It was unprofessional and unnecessary. And his agent had every right to make it public. As a person who's expected to act as a negotiator a GM should also be expected to act with a certain level of decorum. Again, what was the point in burning the bridge. Even if we take Bautista out of the equation I'm sure it left a bad taste with the agent...who represents other players. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Did you read my post? Duquette should have NEVER shared that tidbit with his agent. It was unprofessional and unnecessary. And his agent had every right to make it public. As a person who's expected to act as a negotiator a GM should also be expected to act with a certain level of decorum. Again, what was the point in burning the bridge. Even if we take Bautista out of the equation I'm sure it left a bad taste with the agent...who represents other players. 

I didn't say his agent had no right to make it public, I said that it certainly didn't help his client to do so.  I can see how one could be pushed into being blunt when the other party won't take a polite "no, thank you" for an answer.  If I was Bautista, I would be quite aggravated with my agent, and I'm guessing that perhaps at this point he just may be.

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Jose Bautista is  served by Epitome Sports Management.  This management team has 6 players in their barn and they are all from the Dominican. 

Jose Bautista

Ervin Santana

Danny Salazar

Alexi Casilla

Luis Perez

Carlos Peguero

http://epitomesportsmanagement.com/clients/

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There is nothing unprofessional about being candid in private.  I looks to me like Duquette simply made it clear that there was some baggage attached to Bautista in the minds of many Orioles fans that made business as usual problematic.  The agent is the one being unprofessional by making it public.  And, as Number5 pointed out, potentially doing a disservice to his client in the process.

Archived