Is O'Day the right reliever to trade?

wildcard

Now that Dan Duquette has said he is open to trading a reliever, who is the right reliever to trade in this reliever frenzied market?

We are hearing Brach or Givens..  There is a lot of talk about how much the O's can get for Britton.  But what about Darren O'Day?  Darren is beloved by the fans and for good reason.   Its not hard to remember him coming in with the bases loaded and giving up nothing.  But:

1) Darren is currently 34.

2) He is signed for 3 years at ages 34-36.

3) His remaining contract is 3/25m

4) He was injured last year.

Last year when the O's sign him Brach, Givens and Hart hadn't taken their steps forward.  Now the pen may be good without him.

He probably has value on the trade market.  Could bring back a young left-handed right fielder.    But his age and contract are something to consider.  Its frees up 8m a year to spend on someone else.  

Darren has a limited no trade clause that allows him to block 7 teams.  

I am not saying that Darren is the right guy to trade.  Just pointing out a few facts.

His contract was a mistake

He has very little trade value, unless you chip in a bunch for his salary

He would have brought back some nice pieces in July 2015, but we extended a 34 yo reliever, while not extending our 20 something stud closer... I got no answer to that strategy

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

His contract was a mistake

He has very little trade value, unless you chip in a bunch for his salary

He would have brought back some nice pieces in July 2015, but we extended a 34 yo reliever, while not extending our 20 something stud closer... I got no answer to that strategy

I do think theres a team or two who would take him on for nothing, or maybe a minimal player in return. 

I just don't think other teams will be interested taking a risk on a guy who has had health question marks. We would be selling low and that isn't a good place to be when making trades. That said, I would be listening.

I would also listen to teams interested in Brach, and, to a lesser extent, Tillman. They would hurt to give up but they could get us some real assets back.

At this point, his value is suppressed by his 2016 injuries. If he pitches in 2017 and puts up numbers anywhere close to his 2012-2015 numbers, he will have much more value next offseason. At that point he would have outstanding results 5 of the last 6 years; a somewhat reasonable contract (2 years/$18Mil remaining); and not a whole lot available in terms of elite relieves on the FA market. 

Devil's advocate would say that if he flops in 2017, he's 2 years removed from being elite and his value would be even lower...so I guess it depends on your confidence in him returning to form.

36 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Because of his age, contract, and injury history, I think O'Day is well behind the O's other 3 top relievers in trade value.  I don't see much point in looking to trade him.  

Its mainly to use O'Days salary for an OF. Unless they trade Brach for one. 

There's no point in trading O'Day when you're guaranteed to get nothing in return because of his age, contract and the fact that he spent most of last year on the DL.  If healthy, he's worth more to you in our bullpen then he is as a trade-piece that will likely net you nothing.

The two guys w/ the most trade value (IMO) are Brach and Britton.  Brach just had a career year and has two more years of team control left.  Britton is one of, if not THE best closer in baseball and also has two years of team control left.  

I don't see why anyone would want to trade Givens.  He's younger than both Brach and Britton, is under team control for five more years and, most importantly, is cheap.  Brach and Britton are both expendable because you have guys like Givens, O'Day, Drake, Hart and Chris Lee.  The team could even bring back a guy like Tommy Hunter on the cheap if they felt like one or two of these guys weren't ready.

Archived