Orioles Officially sign Catcher Welington Castillo

Machado13

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some of us just find it amusing that a year after taking a rather public stand against opt-outs they gave a guy an opt-out.  The fact that they are phrasing it in such a way as to obfuscate that fact that it is indeed an opt-out just makes it more amusing.

You are very easily amused.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Depends, most main stream comedies don't do it for me but blatant hypocrisy does.

I don't look at an opt out in the last year of a deal (whether player, team, or mutual) the same way I do these other new wave of contracts where you have premium players signed to longer term deals and able to opt out after the first year or two.  It's not the same and I'm sure the organization doesn't look at it that way either.  These kind of deals have been common place for years.

I don't see a huge level of hypocrisy going on, but if the organization wants to get more open to more opt-out type contracts I think that is a good thing.  As someone else mentioned, it all depends on the circumstances.  For example I would not want a ten year deal with Manny where he can opt out after two or three years. But an opt out after five years is something I would strongly consider especially in a back loaded contract. 

From Orioles

Orioles sign catcher Castillo 
The Orioles agreed to terms with veteran catcher Welington Castillo on a one-year deal with a second-year option. Castillo, non-tendered by Arizona, hit .264 with 14 home runs and 68 RBIs in 113 games for the D-backs last season. The Dominican native owns a career .255/.318/.416 slash line through parts of seven seasons in the big leagues, which has also included stints with the Mariners and Cubs, who originally signed Castillo as a 17-year old in 2004. 

On 12/15/2016 at 8:55 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Depends, most main stream comedies don't do it for me but blatant hypocrisy does.

I think you are really reaching, you compare to Chen, 5 year deal, with opt out after 2.

To me its simple, Players want an opt out, so they can walk away from a backended deal and get big money sooner, if they do well.

I don't think anybody has the expectation that Castillo is going to have a career year and somebody is going to want to sign him to a triple digit contract next year.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:36 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Some of us just find it amusing that a year after taking a rather public stand against opt-outs they gave a guy an opt-out.  The fact that they are phrasing it in such a way as to obfuscate that fact that it is indeed an opt-out just makes it more amusing.

Here's Dan's explanation:

There was plenty of competition for his services and the Orioles took the necessary step of adding the player option for 2018.

“It sounded to me like Welington had some other options from some other teams that were interested in him based on his strong year this past season,” Duquette said.

“We were trying to find a solution. We weren’t looking for a long-term deal. By that I mean over two years. We were looking for a shorter-term deal to give the club a little bit of time to evaluate some of our own people internally and develop some of the people we have in our organization like Caleb Joseph and (Francisco) Pena and also Chance Sisco.

“I think in listening to the players’ agent, this was an attractive option for him because it gives him all the incentive in the world to have a terrific year in 2017, but it also gives him some comfort knowing that he could extend it to a second year in 2018, and the terms were acceptable to the club. That wasn’t our first option, but the terms were acceptable and I think this will work out fine for both parties.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/12/orioles-welcome-castillo-as-they-part-with-wieters.html

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with the decision.

But it's a two year deal with an opt out.

I wonder how it is counted against the payroll cap?

Well, it's a 1 year deal with a player option for 7 mil.  I expect he'll end up having a good year and decline the option.  The O's were ahem... welling to take a relatively small risk on the contract.  

What's that?  Keep my day job?  Well, you would do well to get used to the welling and wellingness comments.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Well, it's a 1 year deal with a player option for 7 mil.  I expect he'll end up having a good year and decline the option.  The O's were ahem... welling to take a relatively small risk on the contract.  

What's that?  Keep my day job?  Well, you would do well to get used to the welling and wellingness comments.  

Does it count as 6M or 6.5M to the 2017 payroll for luxury tax purposes?

And I have no beef with your bad puns.

I'd like to sign this fellow and replace Caleb. 

I Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+
  vs RHP 692   2087 1762 221 436 94 6 65 241 6 4 303 558 .247 .357 .418 .775 737 37 4 4 14 12 8 .322 10

Archived