Orioles Officially sign Catcher Welington Castillo

Machado13

6 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

As the board Nats fan I am pretty sure that poster has not watched Revere on an every day basis. He was AWFUL last year. Just terrible. I never want to see him again, LOL. He is worth a flyer as a buy low guy, but as you said, no way do you pencil him in as an everyday player. If we do, get ready for a long season.

He had one bad season. Look at everything he did in MIN and PHI while he was healthy for the 3-4 years before. He's only 28. 

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of hate to see this.  I for one will miss Wieters, he was a very solid player.  Dude had some CLUTCH at bats last year.  He will get his money though.  

Still can't believe there were those on this board that talked about not signing him for more than 3/19m.  SMH.

59 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Castillo, but what I don't get is why we just didn't trade for him two weeks ago before he was non tendered. We could have traded anything and had him on a 1/5 deal.  I'm guessing now it's going to take like 2/12. 

Why give up something when you can sign him? 1/5 vs 2/12 isn't that much difference.

I am in favor of signing Castillo. I think the can be signed for less than 2/$12 million. He was estimated by MLBtraderumors to get $5.9 million in arbitration if he was tendered. I realize that they would be buying out 1 year of free agency, but 2/$10 million seems more reasonable for someone like him that was non-tendered.

16 minutes ago, weams said:

149 ABs. I don't see any reason why Caleb won't return to his career norm .625 OPS combined with solid defense and excellent framing. (Yes, I do believe in framing because umpires are human beings).

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

149 ABs. I don't see any reason why Caleb won't return to his career norm .625 OPS combined with solid defense and excellent framing. (Yes, I do believe in framing because umpires are human beings).

Since he won't have a starting role, I expect his ABs to be less than 250 in any way. So I guess the ~.400 OPS is not quite as damaging. 

I would imagine if they make the signing the contract will be low enough that:

1.  It won't be so high as to remove the option of bringing in another catcher, not Wieters

2.  won't curtail competition between Castillo and Joseph.  If Caleb is playing better than he will play more.

3.  Will not curtail the development  of Sisco.  If he's ready they won't have a contract blocking him.

Very, very odd that Rotoworld and MLBTR have not picked this up yet.  But FanRag and that article must be legit, since Heyman is very much legit and I can't imagine him working for a site that publishes fake stories.

In any case, Castillo is a classic Duquette target.  Not very good K/BB profile but hits the ball hard. Right handed hitter, doesn't need to be platooned. MLBTR only projected him for a $5.9 million salary this year in his last year of arbitration before he was somewhat shockingly non-tendered. He's young enough to get a multi-year contract, but hopefully the fact that he was non-tendered at such a low salary means he won't be shooting for more than $6-7 million a year.

3 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

It'll be weird not having Wieters behind the plate, but it's for the best, I think. If they land him, good addition. Keep the spot warm for Sisco, hopefully.

A 2-year deal would be perfect. Sisco probably needs the entirety of this year at AAA to develop offensively, and defensively is still far behind what's expected of him.  He should be able to challenge for playing time sometime in 2018 while Castillo is playing out the end of his (hopefully modest) contract.

Archived