Desmond Jennings

ChuckS

I haven't seen his name brought up at all.  

He seems like a nice option as a fourth outfielder and/or platoon guy versus LHP.  Plus defender with some speed and a little pop.  He has really struggled over the last two years and has missed a lot of time due to injury, but he's a career .778 OPS bat against lefties.  

Could be worth a flyer, especially if we pick up one of the left handed hitting outfielders we have been linked to.  I prefer his upside to bringing back a player like Bourne or signing Rajai Davis and you can probably sign him to a cheap enough contract (1/3, 1/4?) that cutting ties midseason if things are not working back does not hurt you too much. 

Lots of platoon options out there at this point that should be cheap, but keep in mind DD made a comment about how much platoon OF's were asking for a few weeks ago.

LH: Bourn, Crisp, Revere

RH: R.Davis, Jackson, Jennings, Raburn, Francouer, Guiterrez

SH: De Aza

We tried platoons in 2015 and it didn't work out for us.  We had De Aza, Snider, Young and Pearce.  We ended up trading for Parra.  That cost us Davies, Brault, Tarpley plus salary.  

As close as we are, I hope we go with a hitter with more upside.  

I wonder what happened to Jennings -- he was supposed to be the second coming of Carl Crawford in Tampa, and had a decent start to his career, but fizzled out pretty young.    He does seem to me like he has some upside if he's healthy.

11 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I haven't seen his name brought up at all.  

He seems like a nice option as a fourth outfielder and/or platoon guy versus LHP.  Plus defender with some speed and a little pop.  He has really struggled over the last two years and has missed a lot of time due to injury, but he's a career .778 OPS bat against lefties.  

Could be worth a flyer, especially if we pick up one of the left handed hitting outfielders we have been linked to.  I prefer his upside to bringing back a player like Bourne or signing Rajai Davis and you can probably sign him to a cheap enough contract (1/3, 1/4?) that cutting ties midseason if things are not working back does not hurt you too much. 

He seems a little redundant to Rickard. I'd be ok if we could get him on a minor league deal, but after the last two years he's had he'd need to put some numbers up in AAA before I'd give him a serious look. Besides, he's really a LF/CF guy, and we need a RFer. I'd rather play Dariel Alvarez before Jennings.

Saying all that, this is why we need Granderson.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He seems a little redundant to Rickard. I'd be ok if we could get him on a minor league deal, but after the last two years he's had he'd need to put some numbers up in AAA before I'd give him a serious look. Besides, he's really a LF/CF guy, and we need a RFer. I'd rather play Dariel Alvarez before Jennings.

Agree that we should be targeting Granderson. I would see if Brach for Granderson and a mid-level prospect gets it done.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd like to have Granderson or Bruce.

47 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd like to have Granderson or Bruce.

I would take either as well.  I prefer Bruce in some ways.  I think he has better power potential and more upside than Granderson given his age.  I also think his defense would be fine in Camden Yards.  

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I would take either as well.  I prefer Bruce in some ways.  I think he has better power potential and more upside than Granderson given his age.  I also think his defense would be fine in Camden Yards.  

You dont think Bruce's defense is worse than Trumbo in COF?

He's looked capable out there on the occasions that I've seen him play and has a pretty strong/accurate arm. 

As far as his defensive WAR:  He broke even (0.0) in 50 games with the Mets and was -1.8 in with the Reds in 2016. -0.2 in 2015.  He won't be winning any gold gloves but he's no Trumbo and was considered a plus defender out there earlier in his career.  

For playing RF in Camden Yards I think being able to pay the scoreboard matters as much (if not more) than having good range or a strong arm.  That was one thing Nick did really well and Trumbo and others have not.  Bruce seems like the kind of guy who has enough instincts/athleticism to play that part of the field well, but I'm just speculating. 

Archived