Bucholz to the Phillies

Aristotelian

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

We had 3 starters with similar potential that we'd like to move?

How come Dan didn't send one to the Phillies?

Love to know if he had even discussed it with the Phillies

I'm sure Dan is just hanging out at home, drinking egg nog and waiting for spring training to start. Seriously though, do you really think teams don't know the Orioles have an extra starter? Which one of our available starters do you think teams would want, even if we gave them away? How much value to you think Jiminez and Gallardo have? Would you take their salaries on if you were the Phillies, even if the Orioles gave them to you?

6 minutes ago, weams said:

No. And Ubaldo is better. 

I would like to believe that, but Bucholz pitched to a better ERA last year, does not lead MLB in walk rate, and did not give up a walk off bomb in the wild card game. Ubaldo does get more strikeouts and has lower FIP for that reason. Good Bucholz seems to be a bit more common than Good Ubaldo.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm sure Dan is just hanging out at home, drinking egg nog and waiting for spring training to start. Seriously though, do you really think teams don't know the Orioles have an extra starter? Which one of our available starters do you think teams would want, even if we gave them away? How much value to you think Jiminez and Gallardo have? Would you take their salaries on if you were the Phillies, even if the Orioles gave them to you?

Nice post, I think some of the OH have been nipping at the spiked egg nog. :)

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think Clay's age and potential is why the Phillies made this deal. I don't think it is so much for helping them win this year as much as it is they hope he gets hot and they trade him at the deadline. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I have trouble buying that with, Andy in charge at Philly.

With that said, even with Bucholz, according to spotrac, they are at 83 million, with 24 million being dead money.

GM's operate differently when they have hard payroll constraints. Andy clearly does not have those shackles in Philly. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Bucholz had a connection and past success with the Phillies pitching coach when he was with BOS.  I think that had a lot to do with it.  They even went out and got Bucholz a personal C yesterday as well.  Honestly I would not be surprised to see Bucholz go to the NL and have a season close to his "good" years.  Heck, I'm sure Andy Mcphail as some glimmer of hope that he will have a good season and bring back a comp pick or something at the trade deadline.  

I don't think our 3 starters are comparable with Bucholz's upside.  It was a unique situation and they took a gamble.  Ubaldo and Gallardo aren't gambles, they are miracle wishing.  Ubaldo's mechanics can go at any point.  Gallardo's shoulder is jacked up and even then he saw his stuff drop off big time.  Bucholz still has a good/above average FB.  Ubaldo and Gallardo are upper 80's guys right now.  Not a lot of upside with our guys.  

If we're serious about dumping one of them then SD would be the only team that seems to be a good fit right now.  They are in a complete rebuild and Gallardo would be there Millwood.  They liked J.Pelluffo in the proposed Ubaldo/Upton salary swap last deadline.  They know our system pretty well and we've dealt with them the last few seasons.  Brach, Despaigne, Ubaldo/Upton.  Maybe something like Gallardo, Comp pick, Pellufo and a 15-30 guy might get them to take him off our hands.  

Just now, TradeAngelos said:

GM's operate differently when they have hard payroll constraints. Andy clearly does not have those shackles in Philly. 

Then, he has plenty of room before the luxury tax kicks in.

I think all teams have a payroll constraint, just some teams have deeper pockets.

Archived