Orioles sign Jesus Montero to a minor league deal

MurphDogg

8 hours ago, esmd said:

I hear you, but I think he's a waste even as a ML signing.  Failed prospect AND he's suspended for the first 50 games?  Why bother?

If he comes back around June 1 and hits well for 6 weeks, he could  be of help by the ASB.    Good alternative if Mancini doesn't hit.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, weams said:

Certainly like Parades did for the Os for a while. 

Paredes: .754 OPS as a minor leaguer 

Montero: .859 OPS as a minor leaguer

Paredes' hot streak never made a lot of sense.   He was a sub-.600 major leaguer before we got him and his MiL record was mediocre. The disconnect with Montero is why his solid MiL track record hasn't translated to the majors.   The PED issue looms large now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he hits.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Paredes: .754 OPS as a minor leaguer 

Montero: .859 OPS as a minor leaguer

Paredes' hot streak never made a lot of sense.   He was a sub-.600 major leaguer before we got him and his MiL record was mediocre. The disconnect with Montero is why his solid MiL track record hasn't translated to the majors.   The PED issue looms large now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he hits.

Brady might do him a world of good. 

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let's hope.  Can never be mad at signing one of the former top prospects in baseball to a milb deal at age 27.  Hopefully he just needed a change of scenery from SEA.  OPACY can do wonders for hitters.  

Next up, Gordon Beckham.

• 4 months later...
45 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Ooh, it'll be so exciting to have a 27 year old 94 OPS+ hitting DH who's likely out of shape - in Norfolk.  

He is probably not out for shape.  He has been working out at Sarasota for months now.  Playing simulated games.  There is not much room on the O's for a DH.   Pedro has started hitting but there is no room for him in Baltimore.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He is probably not out for shape.  He has been working out at Sarasota for months now.  Playing simulated games.  There is not much room on the O's for a DH.   Pedro has started hitting but there is no room for him in Baltimore.

He needed a team to sign him to serve his time. Probably an agent favor. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

He needed a team to sign him to serve his time. Probably an agent favor. 

I didn't realize that's how it works. Not that I ever considered it.

I would think it would make more sense that you serve fifty games of your future signing team and if you never sign with anyone, NBD.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Or if Pedro gets promoted. As he should. 

Where are you going to put him?   In Kim's spot?   Rickard's?    I don't know if that really works.    Either Mancini or Smith will lose playing time, and Trumbo will play a lot more OF.

Archived