Can the O's use Jason Hammel?

oriolediehard

What about signing Jason Hammel?  He has had some success since leaving the O's.  We can put him in the rotation and put Ubaldo,or Galliard and or Miley in the bullpun. If Hammel don't workout in the rotation we can put him in the bullpen and put 2 of the other pitchers in the rotation.  Just a thought IMHO.

Jason Hammel would be an improvement on the #4 starter and could even go #3 if the team wants to take more pressure off Dylan Bundy.  He's the best SP on the market now.  (yuck)

Problem is, a signing makes no sense from a financial and roster standpoint because of those three pitchers making nearly $40 mil combined and clogging up the back-end rotation.

Hammel is a National League guy. I saw enough of him when he was here to realize he would probably not be much of an upgrade over Ubaldo or Miley, but could be better than Gallardo who I think could be done due to injury. I just think he's a low-4 to mid-4 ERA guy in the AL East. 

46 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hammel is a National League guy. I saw enough of him when he was here to realize he would probably not be much of an upgrade over Ubaldo or Miley, but could be better than Gallardo who I think could be done due to injury. I just think he's a low-4 to mid-4 ERA guy in the AL East. 

Low to mid 4 ERA guy in AL East seems pretty valuable, no? 

3 minutes ago, SurhoffFTW said:

Low to mid 4 ERA guy in AL East seems pretty valuable, no? 

If a pitcher has 33 Quality Starts in a season (6 Innings pitched w/3 or less runs) they would have a 4.50 ERA.  So yeah that would be considered valuable but taxing on the bullpen when three of your potential starters fall into the same category.

What would it take to get Hammel in this market?  

Is a 1 or 2 year deal a possibility?  If so, I would give it some thought.  

Maybe we can find a suitor to eat Ubaldo's salary if we add Hammel?  I like Ubaldo and his high ceiling but Hammel would provide more consistency, most likely.  Give it another month and if Hammel is still out there, it could be worth kicking the tires.  

16 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

What would it take to get Hammel in this market?  

Is a 1 or 2 year deal a possibility?  If so, I would give it some thought.  

Maybe we can find a suitor to eat Ubaldo's salary if we add Hammel?  I like Ubaldo and his high ceiling but Hammel would provide more consistency, most likely.  Give it another month and if Hammel is still out there, it could be worth kicking the tires.  

If this were really possible, I think it would have in all likelihood already been done, regardless of any designs we may or may not have on Hammel.

One of the biggest surprises of free agency is that right-hander Jason Hammel has received limited interest despite going a combined 25-17 with a 3.79 ERA in 61 starts with the Chicago Cubs over the last two seasons.

However, many teams are unwilling to commit to Hammel beyond one year after the Cubs left him off the postseason roster because of elbow tightness. Scouts also believe the quality of the 34-year-old’s stuff is declining.

Hammel changed agencies earlier this month in hopes of drumming up more suitors, switching to ACES from Octagon.

“He’s going to have to lower his sights,” a scout from an American League team said. “There are just too many questions marks surrounding him. I’m not saying he couldn’t help someone, it’s just that he’s not a sure thing and it’s tough to commit a lot of money to that kind of player.”

http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/rumors-rumblings-padres-excited-about-young-players/

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hammel is a bum. Remember 2013 when he single handedly stopped 7 3-4 game winning streaks. 

Stay in the NL. Plus he's due to be hurt next year. I appreciate what he did in 2012. But even that year he only gave us 120 IP and was hurt the whole 2nd half. 

A bit harsh don't you think? He's definitely not a "bum". He's a viable SP (in either league), but I agree with you about the injury risk. 

Archived