Report: Orioles discussed Valbuena

Rene88

52 minutes ago, weams said:

Replacement for Alvarez.

Probably cheaper.  Although his defense isn't great it does give us some more versatility.  There still might be some upside with him.  My first thought was he is just another high K, HR guy with a bad glove.  But he had a .350 OBP and 0.3 dWAR in 90 games at 3rd base last year.  

Definitely would be an upgrade over Flaherty.  But could be a 2 year deal possibility and a JJ replacement for 2018, with Manny playing SS.  Plus lets face it, JJ usually has a DL stint every year.  This would give us some more options.  

Buck is so good with the bullpen.  We've always had weak benches and Buck has rode are starters into the ground.  Maybe things would change if we had a more versatile, productive bench.  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Probably cheaper.  Although his defense isn't great it does give us some more versatility.  There still might be some upside with him.  My first thought was he is just another high K, HR guy with a bad glove.  But he had a .350 OBP and 0.3 dWAR in 90 games at 3rd base last year.  

Definitely would be an upgrade over Flaherty.  But could be a 2 year deal possibility and a JJ replacement for 2018, with Manny playing SS.  Plus lets face it, JJ usually has a DL stint every year.  This would give us some more options.  

Buck is so good with the bullpen.  We've always had weak benches and Buck has rode are starters into the ground.  Maybe things would change if we had a more versatile, productive bench.  

I see him as the left handed DH, Bat off the bench.

8 minutes ago, weams said:

I see him as the left handed DH, Bat off the bench.

That would be the preferred role.  Plus he could play some 3rd if we wanted to give JJ a day off at SS.  I like Flaherty too and see value and room with both of them.  Assuming we get an everyday RF, our bench could have some flexibility

Backup C: Joseph/Pena(my choice since he's out of options)

IF: Flaherty

DH/Corner guy: Valbuenna/Mancini

OF: Rickard

That bench would require us to sign an everyday RF like Pagan, Trumbo, Bautista, Saunders.  One of the rule 5 guys would have to tear it up and Rickard would have to slump in ST to not make the team.  But not impossible since Rickard is now optionable.  

Bottomline is that it would be nice to have a better bench.  Valbuenna would bring more to the team than Pedro Alvarez would.  

Archived