Smith for Gallardo: Who Saw It Coming?

Bahama O's Fan

13 minutes ago, health55 said:

The bottom line was that Seattle did not want slow-footed Seth Smith in the outfield with the DH slot committed to Nelson Cruz. According to reports, the Mariners had been shopping Smith for months and likely settled this week for the best offer.

I get it that Baltimore fans were dismayed with Gallardo's 23 starts in an O's uniform but the Mariners are gambling that this year the right-hander will be closer to the 4.1 bWAR posted two years ago in his only season with an AL West team.

That's what the Orioles tried to buy that last off-season. It appears that 3 of that bWAR was acquired before the All Star break in 2015.

15 minutes ago, health55 said:

The bottom line was that Seattle did not want slow-footed Seth Smith in the outfield with the DH slot committed to Nelson Cruz. According to reports, the Mariners had been shopping Smith for months and likely settled this week for the best offer.

I get it that Baltimore fans were dismayed with Gallardo's 23 starts in an O's uniform but the Mariners are gambling that this year the right-hander will be closer to the 4.1 bWAR posted two years ago in his only season with an AL West team.

I hope he puts up a 2015-like season for your team.  He had a rough year last season, but I respected how he carried himself in post game interviews.

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

I hope he puts up a 2015-like season for your team.  He had a rough year last season, but I respected how he carried himself in post game interviews.

And Oriole fans should love Seth Smith, who is a great guy off the field.

1 hour ago, health55 said:

And Oriole fans should love Seth Smith, who is a great guy off the field.

Good to know that. He hit us hard last year. Obviously never got a feel for his personality but I think he'll be a good contributor. Hope Gallardo does well for you guys this year and you guys have a good year. Always liked the Mariners going back to when you guys had Griffey, the Martinezes, Randy Johnson, and Buhner in the 90's. Would love to make it out to Safeco one day to see a game.

I didn't see it coming because I didn't think a 34 year old outfielder who is only a slight improvement defensively over Trumbo is what the O's were looking for.   Also kind of surprised the O's traded a starter when they  have Bundy whose innings probably should be somewhat limited (in spite of what the O's say)  and Gausman, Tillman both had injuries  last year.  

I am sure Dan surveyed the market and thought this trade was the best he could do.   But I did  not see it coming probably because I didn't want to go this direction.

Archived