Britton wants a long-term deal to stay with the O's

Sanfran327

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will give Angelos credit -- when the team is good, he has shown he'll pay to try to hold things together.    But I'm worried that, like in 1998-2000, we'll hold on too long.    We need to be prepared to shift gears when circumstances warrant.  

Our next major shift in gear will occur in about 22 months when the contracts of both our manager and general manager end at the same time. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will give Angelos credit -- when the team is good, he has shown he'll pay to try to hold things together.    But I'm worried that, like in 1998-2000, we'll hold on too long.    We need to be prepared to shift gears when circumstances warrant.  

Is it too early to start identifying the 2020 versions of Trenidad Hubbard, Fernando Lunar and Luis Rivera?  

28 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Our next major shift in gear will occur in about 22 months when the contracts of both our manager and general manager end at the same time. 

Angelos needs to avoid that occurrence, or be well prepared with a succession plan.   I fully expect that by next offseason at the latest, he will have either extended one or both of them, or concluded that he's not going to.

23 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

No point in having Zach if we aren't keeping Manny et al around. 

Best option will be, and still is, to trade him.

I think we need to avoid the mindset that the team can't win without Manny.    We did well in 2014 while he was hurt.    I want to keep Manny badly, but I don't know that you throw in the towel if he's gone.     Depends a lot on what happens with other players.   

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles can't afford to pay Britton 17 million for 60-70 innings.

most here are hoping they can figure out a way to keep Manny.

Manny and Davis will cost 25 million and 21 million if you can't Davis' return money. That's 46 million out of 160-170 for two guys.

Add 15 for Tillman, 13 for Trumbo, and that's 74 for 4 guys.

Manny for $25M?  In what world?  Manny is going to be at least $30M AAV.  They're better off trading Manny and paying to keep most of the other guys.  I'm 50/50 on whether to trade Britton or move him for prospects and try and retain others.  But Manny is defintely too expensive to keep.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think we need to avoid the mindset that the team can't win without Manny.    We did well in 2014 while he was hurt.    I want to keep Manny badly, but I don't know that you throw in the towel if he's gone.     Depends a lot on what happens with other players.   

You're absolutely right, and it would also depend a lot on who the Orioles would get in return for trading Manny after 2017 (or at the trade deadline).

I recall the Mariners letting one Alex Rodriguez go after the 2000 season.  They were a good team, and lost in the ALCS that year.  But then in 2001 they won 116 games, followed by consecutive 93 win seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 9:01 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm probably the only one who saw weams quoting your post about rounders (without the picture) and thought, "cool, someone is referencing the early-1800s schoolyard precursor to baseball."

You would fit in so well with the guys in my vintage baseball league. Its half historian, half sport. We play by 1865 rules. Happy to have you, were always looking for new players, if you are unable to play, we are looking for a new arbiter as ours just retired.

On 1/20/2017 at 3:33 PM, Can_of_corn said:

If you extend them before arbitration it tends to cost a lot less money.  When you let them actually reach free agency...

Agreed.  This is why we should be hearing about Schoop and Gausman getting extended.  It's pretty much a fairy tale if Tillman, Manny, and Britton re-sign here.  I think we'd all be happy with just Manny.  

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agreed.  This is why we should be hearing about Schoop and Gausman getting extended.  It's pretty much a fairy tale if Tillman, Manny, and Britton re-sign here.  I think we'd all be happy with just Manny.  

Yes!

We should offer Gausman the contract that Carlos Martinez just signed with St. Louis.   You might be able to do something even a bit cheaper with Schoop.

On 1/21/2017 at 10:37 PM, esmd said:

Manny for $25M?  In what world?  Manny is going to be at least $30M AAV.  They're better off trading Manny and paying to keep most of the other guys.  I'm 50/50 on whether to trade Britton or move him for prospects and try and retain others.  But Manny is defintely too expensive to keep.

I am afraid you are right.

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would be looking to a lesser extent the same for Givens, and Bundy. If/when Britton does leave/traded I can see Givens stepping in the closer role. He had some bumps last year but still he finished strong, and could be the future closer. Would be good to delay a future problem. I can see Bundy either having a breakout year or another injury shorten season. Risks for both but something similar market sized teams do.

Its nice for Britton to say he wants to stay but its not consistent with him picking Boras as an agent.   Boras almost alway takes his players to free agency.   He makes a case to them that they should not sign before they test the market.   

If Britton hits the FA market his price will be out of the O's reach.   The O's understand this.  That is why I think the O's trade Britton next off season.  The O's can still be competitive without Britton.   

Its Manny I think they have to spend the money on.  How do the O's remain competitive without Manny?  I don't have the answer to that one.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its nice for Britton to say he wants to stay but its not consistent with him picking Boras as an agent.   Boras almost alway takes his players to free agency.   He makes a case to them that they should not sign before they test the market.   

If Britton hits the FA market his price will be out of the O's reach.   The O's understand this.  That is why I think the O's trade Britton next off season.  The O's can still be competitive without Britton.   

Its Manny I think they have to spend the money on.  How do the O's remain competitive without Manny?  I don't have the answer to that one.

I do.  Sign Tillman to an extension.  Sign Jones to an extension reflecting his age and declining stats and move him to corner OF (if he'll do it).  Trade Manny and Britton either next offseason or at the deadline in 2018 for a haul of prospects and/or young major league talent.  Sign Todd Frazier or Mike Moustakas to play 3B.

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop

SS - Need to fill with Hardy/Machado gone

3B - Frazier/Moustakas

RF - Jones

CF - Need to fill

LF - Need to fill

C - Sisco

DH - Trumbo

You'd have holes to fill at SS, LF, and CF.  Not saying it'd be easy, but certainly doable to remain competitive with the right return in the trades and smart FA signings.

Archived