Post-Holidays Relief Market

25 Nuggets

It appears that the Orioles are looking at two more possible signings -- we know the focus has been on the OF/DH situation and the team recently traded for Seth Smith and signed Mark Trumbo in this regard.  They may get one more OF as a reserve.

The Orioles also want "pitching depth".  The back-end of the bullpen is a strength; however, the amount of good relievers still on the market rivals that of the one-dimensional sluggers.  And like the hitters, they're starting to finally get signed.  Recent signings include Santiago Casilla (Oakland - 2 yr, $11 mil), Trevor Cahill (San Diego - 1 yr, $1.75 mil), and Neftali Feliz (Texas - 1 yr, $5.35 mil).

The Orioles could sign a junk long-reliever that can spot start from time to time... or they could be more daring and sign another good reliever.  Look at who is still available:

• R Matt Belisle (36) - 79.2 IP, 2.15 ERA, 191 ERA+, 1.243 WHIP, 6.4 K/9 the pat two seasons combined.  No real word on him.
  • R Joe Blanton (36) - 156 IP, 2.65 ERA, 150 ERA+, 1.064 WHIP, 9.2 K/9 the past two seasons combined.  Rockies, Dodgers looking at him.
  • L Jerry Blevins (33) - 42 IP, 2.79 ERA, 148 ERA+, 1.214 WHIP, 11.1 K/9 last season with the Mets.  Yankees contacted him.
  • R Luke Hochevar (33) - 88 IP, 3.78 ERA, 113 ERA+, 1.193 WHIP, 9.1 K/9 the past two seasons combined.  Royals, Mariners involved.
  • R Greg Holland (31) - once considered the best reliever in baseball.  Wants a two year deal including an opt out.  Lots of buzz around the league.
  • L J.P. Howell (33) - 205.2 IP, 2.49 ERA, 147 ERA+, 1.230 WHIP, 8.1 K/9 as a Dodger (since 2013).  Giants have asked among others.
    • R Tommy Hunter (30) - 34 IP, 3.18 ERA, 147 ERA+, 1.265 WHIP, 6.1 K/9 last season.  For reference, since we've talked about bringing him back.
  • L Boone Logan (32) - 46.1 IP, 133 ERA+, 1.014 WHIP, 11/1 K/9 last season with the Rockies.  Multiple teams asking, including the Orioles.
  • R Brandon Morrow (32) - 49 IP, 2.39 ERA, 163 ERA+, 1.184 WHIP, 5.7 K/9 the past two seasons combined. No real word on him.
  • R Sergio Romo (34) - still a premier reliever.  Career 2.58 ERA, 147 ERA+, 0.955 WHIP, 10.2 K/9.  Milwaukee called before signing Feliz.  Where's the buzz?
  • R Shawn Tolleson (29) - prior to last season he was pretty studly.  10th place in CYA voting in 2015.  Finalizing a deal with the Rays so will be off the board soon.
  • L Travis Wood (30) - 61 IP, 2.95 ERA, 137 ERA+, 1.131 WHIIP, 6.9 K/9 last season with the Cubs.  Lots of questions, not many real answers.

There are some really good arms here.  Much better than a Vance Worley type inning-for-inning.  And definitely better than T.J. McFarland, the current projected 7th man in the pen behind Britton, Brach, O'Day, Givens, Hart, and Drake.

Good thread.  Here is what I have the pitching staff at right now,

Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Miley, Ubaldo

Britton, Brach, O'day, Givens, Hart, Drake(no options), Mcfarland (no options)

First, I think that Drake and Mac are going to get every chance to make the MLB team.  They've earned it and DD doesn't like to lose people.  I liked what Drake did last year, other than his two outings in SD where Buck overused him.  I'm probably in the minority here but I liked what I saw from Mac last year in ST and early in the season before the injuries.  He looked like his stuff got a lot better.  He was throwing harder and looked like he could even be a SP.  

I would not be surprised to see us add a Worley, Hunter, or Boone Logan on a 1 year MLB deal.  I like our bullpen depth, the depth in the minors and the prospects that are now going to be in at least Bowie.  I'd like it if we signed one more proven vet and let Drake and Mac battle for the last spot.  Guys not having options this year is going to hurt our flexibility.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hart saw an unwarranted demotion just to keep a guy for a bit.  

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Good options cost money.  Worley is the best you should expect.

With Tillman, Ubaldo and Miley all possibly being FA's next year we could get great creative with a guy like Hammel. Give him 2/17. With 5mm in 2017 and 12 in 2018. Something creative like that. Maybe even some deferred money. 

10 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Yes, that Joe Blanton.

He's become a legit reliever the last 2 years.  I'm surprised we haven't seen anything about the Orioles being interested in him.  

He'd be an upgrade over Vanimal in the swingman/long relief role.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/blantjo01.shtml

This Joe?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/no-average-joe/

Nice Slider

Screen-Shot-2017-01-23-at-8.14.40-PM-100

Screen-Shot-2017-01-23-at-8.15.20-PM-980

On 1/23/2017 at 8:53 AM, oriole said:

How much do you think Travis Wood will get?? He has been historically very good against lefties but also has a lot of experience starting. That means he could fill a lot of different roles.

Travis Wood would be an interesting sign.  1 year deal, offer him a chance to complete for the #5 spot, move the loser of Miley/Jiminez/Wood to the pen to be your long man. 

Depending on how the spring went, we might end up with 2 lefties in the rotation (Ubaldo in the pen; maybe it takes the pressure of him allowing him to flourish as a starter later in the season).  Or we get an extra lefty in the pen with the ability to go long if needed. 

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Higher k rate than Worley. Worley was good but I feel like expanded rosters and Hunter stole his role at the end of the year. I don't know how much he is worth given that. 

I'd rather have Vanimal. But what do I know?

The reason the O's would add a pitcher is to get someone that is better at filling in as a starter.    They have guys that can relieve.    Blanton is over a 5.00 ERA has a starter.  Worley is under  a 4.00 ERA as a starter.    Plus Blanton is 36 years old. 

I would pass on Blanton.

Archived