List of Remaining Free Agents-Who Do You Want?

Rene88

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/5/2017 at 9:17 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Aren't Jennings, Bourjols, etc a better plan than a couple of rule V picks?

DD is apparently going to wait and sign the single OF'er that no one is baseball wants, even on a minor league deal... such a lazy GM

I would think so. 

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It's because people think MacPhail was the savior and while technically built the core and does deserve credit, look who DD brought in to help add to it. Cruz, Pearce, McClouth, Trumbo, etc. Andy would have never done pickups like that. 

It's hard to say what Andy would have done.    I do think that Duquette benefitted from the fact that Andy's core was hitting its peak just as he arrived.    My guess is Andy wouldn't have made some of the clever acquisitions that Duquette did, and he also probably would have avoided some of the deals Duquette made that have hurt us in the long run.    But there's no way to really know.  

On 2/5/2017 at 10:17 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Aren't Jennings, Bourjols, etc a better plan than a couple of rule V picks?

DD is apparently going to wait and sign the single OF'er that no one is baseball wants, even on a minor league deal... such a lazy GM

This brings to mind the old question we would ask when one of us would make a comment having nothing to do with what we were talking about, or made no sense: "So, did you walk to school or carry your lunch?"

These two things are only tangentially related, at best, and certainly one does not preclude the other.  Signing a rule 5 player is a virtually risk-free opportunity to add an asset.  It is no real loss if it doesn't work out.  It is an absolute certainty that Tavarez wasn't drafted for the express purpose of starting in the Orioles' outfield in 2017 vs. LHP.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's hard to say what Andy would have done.    I do think that Duquette benefitted from the fact that Andy's core was hitting its peak just as he arrived.    My guess is Andy wouldn't have made some of the clever acquisitions that Duquette did, and he also probably would have avoided some of the deals Duquette made that have hurt us in the long run.    But there's no way to really know.  

Look at Andy's track record in Minnesota and Chicago. The thing really is the differing philosophies on management. Andy's philosophy on rebuilding is take your time and make very good educated guesses (Hardy, Davis, Reynolds) to make your core all that much better versus DD's philosophy of throw everything of value out of the window for prospects and picks (Montreal and kinda sorta Boston). I could go on all day about this, but I think if you analize their track records, then you see the difference between the two.

Andy was a good collector of talent.  Some of the best trades the O's have seen in years.  But he couldn't get that talent to turn the corner to being a winning team. And he didn't seem to have the ability to get Peter to spend.   

Dan has built winners since he has been with the O's.   He seem to keep his good talent unless there is a reason to do otherwise.   He shies away from signing injured players, players that are getting old and players who skills are eroding  to long term agreement.   But he does look and acquire players that fit.  

Some fans like to point out that Dan does always acquire the players that cure all the area that need to be fixed.  And some of his signing don't work out.  I would ask those fans "What GM has had all his deal work out?"  Did ARod work for the Yankees?   Has Sandoval?  Did the GM of the Tigers (now in Boston) let this team get old on him?

GMs are not perfect and either is Dan, but I have enjoyed winning these last 5 years and a lot of it is because Dan's  "Win now" approach.

4 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I was speaking in general for these types of people. 

o

But you were responding to Frobby, who was responding to webbrick. And Frobby essentially said what I was saying, that it was hard to take him seriously for obvious reasons.

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Conversely, would he have traded some of our better performers in 2012/2013 to get even more future players?  I don't know.

22 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's just that it does not improve the OF defense, which Duquette said was a priority.

With that setup we basically have a repeat of 2016.  Which, granted, netted the Orioles a Wild Card game.

Our outfield is still deficient on defense, but it should still be significantly better this year defensively from only starting Trumbo in RF only 40 or 50 times instead of 100 like last year.  

Our offense should improve too.  Replacing Reimold with Smith should be a big increase in productivity.  We lose Alvarez but probably gain Mancini.  

There are good ripple effects of this too. Kim will get more PAs than he had last year which is only a good thing offensively.  Rickard won't be asked to do too much like he was last year before his injury -- he will be in favorable matchups with mostly lefty pitchers.  If Tavarez gives us a good showing in ST, maybe he beats out either Mancini or Rickard for that last roster spot.  

Would have liked a competent backup CF like Jennings to get a minor league deal.  I'd still take Pagan if we can get him in a minor league deal or small 1 yr guaranteed mlb contract.  

Archived