BA Draft Chat with Matt Blood

I asked a few questions on the chat today.

Q: J.J. from Annapolis asks:

Last year the O's seemed locked in on Detwiler until Wieters fell into their lap. This year the word is that they are into Matusz. Hypothetically if they had drafted Detwiler and then Posey this year which duo would you prefer Detwiler/Posey or Wieters/Matusz. How does Matusz compare to Detwiler?

A: Matt Blood: Hi everyone. Today starts the two week countdown until draft day. I'm here and ready for your questions—so, let's begin... This is a great comparison of two very talented duos. However, I think the answer would have to be Wieters/Matusz. While Detwiler was the number six overall pick last year and Posey has potential to be this year's number one selection, I believe that when taking into account talent only, Wieters would have been drafted higher than Posey if they were both in this year's draft, and the same goes for Matusz over Detwiler. The ceilings of Wieters and Matusz are just a bit higher than the ceilings of Posey and Detwiler.

If the O's were faced with the unlikely choice of T. Beckham, Matusz, or Smoak, would they take the kid over the college guys? Smoak over Matusz?

A: Moderator: It is possible that the Orioles will have to make a choice between college Beckham and Matusz. I don't think Tim Beckham will still be around at that point, but if he is, I feel that the Orioles would grab him. I also don't think that Smoak fits into this category as the Orioles would take both G. Beckham and Matusz before the college first baseman. Choosing between G. Beckham and Matusz is a tricky decision, but I hear that the Orioles really like the Georgia shortstop.

and

How far has Harold Martinez fallen and do you see him maybe going to college to improve his stock in three years?

A: Matt Blood: Considering Martinez was at the top of most high school talent rankings over the past few years, he has fallen a long ways. Now listed as BA's no. 160 overall prospect for the draft, Martinez will most likely fall out of the top five rounds. He will most likely head to Miami to refine his game. Keep an eye on him over the next three years, as he has the tools and athleticism to be an impact draft prospect.

I asked another in regards to Scheppers but no answer yet.

I would like to see them take GBex over Matusz.

On the face of it, so would I, since we're loaded with pitchers and barren of shortstops. However, if Joe Jordan thought that Matusz was a future no. 1 and that Beckham was a future .725 OPS shortstop who played solid but not spectacular defense by major league standards, I'd go with Matusz. In Jordan we trust.

On the face of it, so would I, since we're loaded with pitchers and barren of shortstops. However, if Joe Jordan thought that Matusz was a future no. 1 and that Beckham was a future .725 OPS shortstop who played solid but not spectacular defense by major league standards, I'd go with Matusz. In Jordan we trust.

That's the thing though, if Jordan thought he was a potential no. 1 and the other 29 scouts out there are saying he is a #2 at BEST, should we be worried about his pitcher assessments? Luckily he admittedly likes to take bats in the first round and believes in finding pitching later. I just think it is too weak of a year for pitching to be taking a SP at #4. I wouldn't even be too shocked if some players moved up and you didn't see a pitcher come off the board at all until #10.

Archived