any love for Alonso?

Yonder hit his 21st HR today. His avg is .394. His BB:K ratio is the best in college over 3:1.

He's a Very advanced bat with lots of power. Many felt he could only DH, but word is he's become a very competent first baseman this year.

Yonder hit his 21st HR today. His avg is .394. His BB:K ratio is the best in college over 3:1.

He's a Very advanced bat with lots of power. Many felt he could only DH, but word is he's become a very competent first baseman this year.

Don't get me wrong, I like Alonso. He just happens to be coming out in a year with a TON of great bats out there. Last year I put him in the top 6 or 7 picks, this year I can see him slipping to 10-12.

I like him a lot. The kid can flat out rake. I fear the Orioles will draft Smoak and Yonder ends up having the better major league career, BUT, at #4 he is a bit of a reach. Whomever drafts him is going to be very happy. He very well could be the first bat to reach the majors from this draft.

I posted in the thread on second round picks that Yonder Alonso and Allan Dykstra have extremely comparable career stats in the same league (Dykstra was far superior their freshman year and a tick inferior in their sophomore year), yet Alonso is considered by many to be a top 10 pick and Dykstra will likely fall to the second round.

I think the reason for this is that there are just so many good college bats, and particularly good college 1B in this draft, that it's tough to place them all properly. Some are getting over-hyped (this is my opinion on Alonso) and some under-hyped (my opinion on Dykstra). I think Alonso is a great talent, but more of a mid-late 1st round type of guy (I think Dykstra would be a solid supplemental pick and a great second round pick). I just can't see Alonso being a top 10 guy.

I posted in the thread on second round picks that Yonder Alonso and Allan Dykstra have extremely comparable career stats in the same league (Dykstra was far superior their freshman year and a tick inferior in their sophomore year), yet Alonso is considered by many to be a top 10 pick and Dykstra will likely fall to the second round.

I think the reason for this is that there are just so many good college bats, and particularly good college 1B in this draft, that it's tough to place them all properly. Some are getting over-hyped (this is my opinion on Alonso) and some under-hyped (my opinion on Dykstra). I think Alonso is a great talent, but more of a mid-late 1st round type of guy (I think Dykstra would be a solid supplemental pick and a great second round pick). I just can't see Alonso being a top 10 guy.

Alonso is clearly the superior player. That's why the scouts are ranking these two players as such. Alonso is a complete hitter, and I think he's just as good as LaPorta was last year. Dykstra is very awkward in every phase of his game, he's not smooth in his swing, and from what I've seen is already striking out way too much.

To address the original poster, I was at the game yesterday where Alonso hit two homers, and they were both absolutely monster shots. Even my wife knew they were both gone as soon as he hit them.

Why isn't he being talked about going in the top 5 if he can play 1B? Why are Smoak and Hosmer going before him? I've read reports that pretty much say Alonso is equal to Smoak but no mock drafts have him being drafted as high.

Alonso is clearly the superior player. That's why the scouts are ranking these two players as such. Alonso is a complete hitter, and I think he's just as good as LaPorta was last year. Dykstra is very awkward in every phase of his game, he's not smooth in his swing, and from what I've seen is already striking out way too much.

To address the original poster, I was at the game yesterday where Alonso hit two homers, and they were both absolutely monster shots. Even my wife knew they were both gone as soon as he hit them.

I never argued that Alonso wasn't clearly the superior player. That's why I said he should go in the mid to late first round and Dykstra is probably an early second rounder. If I had the choice between the two I'd go with Alonso without hesitating. I'm simply demonstrating that their production in the same league over their three year career is essentially the same, while Alonso has made steady improvements and Dykstra has produced consistently. I've read scouting reports on both and neither is a plus defender. Dykstra might have the slight edge, which isn't saying much about Alonso's glove.

I'd still say they are about 20-25 picks apart on this draft board, but I think the gap between the two has been exaggerated. Alonso is about as close or closer to Dykstra than he is to Smoak IMO.

Interesting that you say this even though they both had identical K rates last year.

I'm not saying that Alonso isn't more talented and more polished, but their production in the same league should indicate that they are closer than some have suggested, regardless of how "awkward" they might respectively look on the field.

Why isn't he being talked about going in the top 5 if he can play 1B? Why are Smoak and Hosmer going before him? I've read reports that pretty much say Alonso is equal to Smoak but no mock drafts have him being drafted as high.

Alonso and Smoak are not equal. Most think Smoak has the better bat and the defense isn't even close from what I've read.

My take on Alonso... Very good offensive player who now appears able to adequately man 1B. Great batting eye, on-base machine. Will have a very good career in the majors.

Compared to Smoak? Hmmm... offensively not much difference really, although I'll say that Alonso will have the better OBP and Smoak the better SLG and additionally Smoak is a switch-hitter, which adds value. Defensively there is a wide gap between the two, with Smoak improved to the point of getting future GG mentions.

I'd take Smoak over Alonso, but it would be awfully close.

Ex. (Scores based on 100 being the best) Alonso=88, Smoak=90. Again... close, very close.

My take on Alonso... Very good offensive player who now appears able to adequately man 1B. Great batting eye, on-base machine. Will have a very good career in the majors.

Compared to Smoak? Hmmm... offensively not much difference really, although I'll say that Alonso will have the better OBP and Smoak the better SLG and Smoak is a switch-hitter, which adds value. Defensively there is a wide gap between the two, with Smoak improved to the point of getting future GG mentions.

I'd take Smoak over Alonso, but it would be awfully close.

Ex. (Scores based on 100 being the best) Alonso=88, Smoak=90. Again... close, very close.

Greg, have there been reports that Alonso's D has significantly improved this year? I read some reports coming into the year that Alonso was quite poor at 1B and that was one of the reasons I was down on him. If he can play an average 1B then that raises my opinion of him, as I think he's fairly close to Smoak with the bat. I'd still give Smoak the edge though.

Alonso has had issues with his conditioning and defensive aptitude until this season. He seems to have improved enough defensively this season to now stick at 1B. Hosmer and Smoak are superior defenders and their bats are all somewhat similar. So the added defensive value is likely the biggest difference.

Interesting that you say this even though they both had identical K rates last year.

I'm not saying that Alonso isn't more talented and more polished, but their production in the same league should indicate that they are closer than some have suggested, regardless of how "awkward" they might respectively look on the field.

Just going on what I've seen man.

Something new and quite interesting that I've not read about before is the serious concern scouts have about his splits. He has fared poorly against not only the best lefties, but the mediocre ones as well. Alonso could drop a ways if teams feel it'll be an issue at the big league level.

Archived