any love for Alonso?

I watched him play yesterday against NC State. He struck out twice on questionable third strike calls, but still he appeared to be pull happy and sitting on fastballs from the middle of the plate and in. He wasn't anywhere near hitting the backdoor curveball. He clearly will need to change his approach to be successful as a pro or he will be eaten alive by higher caliber pitchers.

At first base, he moves very slowly. He still appears to be below average defensively.

In short, I wasn't impressed at all.

I watched him play yesterday against NC State. He struck out twice on questionable third strike calls, but still he appeared to be pull happy and sitting on fastballs from the middle of the plate and in. He wasn't anywhere near hitting the backdoor curveball. He clearly will need to change his approach to be successful as a pro or he will be eaten alive by higher caliber pitchers.

At first base, he moves very slowly. He still appears to be below average defensively.

Hmmm, thanks for the report. Alonso may indeed slide farther than expected.

Yea, he didn't have a good game. That umpire is notoriously bad, and both those third strike calls were awful.

You should of seen the game where he hit two homers a few days ago against GT. Both of those homers were to left center.

Yea, he didn't have a good game. That umpire is notoriously bad, and both those third strike calls were awful.

You should of seen the game where he hit two homers a few days ago against GT. Both of those homers were to left center.

Yeah, I realize watching one game is not a really good indicator of his future success. I also watched the Virginia game yesterday. I'm still not that impressed with his approach at the plate. He's going to take awhile to adjust to professional pitching. He should know that pitching are going to throw him curve balls on the outside half of the plate (especially with two strikes) and it appeared as if he was sitting a something on the inner half of the plate.

Defensively, he still looks lost at 1B. There was a pop up hit behind first base that he wasn't even close to getting. Weeks had to run over and save him by making the catch. IMO, he is still below average at first.

Archived