Should We Trade Jones?

ELMERO

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have share them many times.

1) Give Rickard every opportunity to win a corner outfield spot and leadoff hitter.

2) Take a long look at Tavarez to see how much playing time he can get at one of the corners.  Not saying he could start but he could offer more range in certain situations.

3) Trade Mancini in a package for a young, speedy outfielder.  This is something that will develop as teams see what Mancini can do in ST,  what Dan and Buck see from Rickard and what other teams have to offer.  

Is Colorado happy with Parra in left or do they need to move Desmond there.   Is Mancini attractive to many?  Would they trade Tapia?

Are the Phillies happy with Tommy Joseph's 989 fielding percentage at 1B or do they think that Mancini .995 fielding fielding percentage would save a lot of runs.  Would they trade Roman Quinn?

There are probably several others that would be as good or better to acquire.

If the O's do acquire another outfielder they probably don't need both Kim and Smith.  One can be traded.

1- Thus far Rickard has shown himself to be a defensive liability and below replacement level contributor.

2- Because relying on a rule V guy worked well last year?  If a guy can't stick on a 40 man roster do you think it is likely he can be more than a marginal help?

3- I don't see Mancini bringing that back.  I don't think his performance in ST will make much of a difference.  This year's free agent market has shown us bat only guys are not currently highly valued.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Fielding percentage, really? You know Ruben Amaro doesn't run the Phillies anymore.

From what I can see Joseph is a catcher that has been moved to 1B.  Fielding has not been his strong suit.     The Phillies have a young team that probably needs a first baseman that can field the position decently.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1- Thus far Rickard has shown himself to be a defensive liability and below replacement level contributor.

2- Because relying on a rule V guy worked well last year?  If a guy can't stick on a 40 man roster do you think it is likely he can be more than a marginal help?

3- I don't see Mancini bringing that back.  I don't think his performance in ST will make much of a difference.  This year's free agent market has shown us bat only guys are not currently highly valued.

I fully agree that Rickard as to step up.  But there is a need for what he showed in the minors.  High OBP, speed, Leadoff hitter capability.  Its up to him to full the void.

Tararez is fast.  Probably a decent defensive player.  We will see in ST.  Dan and Buck normally carry a Rule 5 guy.  I am not counting out what Tavarez can contribute.

I said a package with Mancini in it.   And I do think ST matters.  It mattered last year when Rickard won a starting  job.   Yeah, he couldn't hold it throughout the season but ST mattered.

1 hour ago, terps19 said:

And this thread DOES NOT win the internets today.  

Whatever you are smoking pass it bro!  Stop parking on the grass.  

See, that is YOUR OPINION and I respect that.  I was taught to respect everyone's opinion, whether you agree with it or not.  Now, if I were smoking SGS, I would pass it to you, BRO.  No need to HATE, not here, not anywhere.

10 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Thank you for defending me, in that regard and giving me the benefit of the doubt.  I was merely stating my perception of the situation and offering a solution.

I didn't find the original post racist in the least. I don't agree with how you read the situation. I will say, that I usually appreciate your questions even though I often disagree with your premise. They tend to be off-center and thought-provoking without being mean-spirited or trollish.

2 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

Should we trade ELMERO? Openly expressing his true feelings about Adam Jones has appeared to create a negative effect, in general, thus making it appear he has become somewhat of a "malcontent". We certainly can't have tension on the message board. Maybe he needs a change of scenery.  Maybe it's time to part ways with him, but to whom and for what? Any other ideas?

I quite expected a few responses like this and that's okay.  I understand you are voicing YOUR opinion and I feel no ill will toward you.  I fully understand that some folks feel that, if you do not understand a concept, the easiest way to deal with it, is to eliminate it.  I do, sincerely, hope you enjoy some love today, on Valentine's Day.

Jones is worth more to us than he would bring back in a trade, and his value is both on the field and off. He's always been one to speak his mind both positively and negatively. I think baseball, a sport with a reputation among many of being somewhat dry, could use more players like that. And I don't think it makes him a malcontent, especially because his behavior and performance on the team has generally been a model of consistency and leadership. 

I think the only way he's traded is a similar story to several of our other players--if the team tanks sometime in the next two years and DD and PA decide to sell what we can for a reboot of sorts. 

6 hours ago, Rene88 said:

This thread disgusts me. 

Absolute garbage and racist crap and needs to be deleted. 

See, Rene88, I have read many of your posts and have found them to be, mostly, intelligent and constructive.  It is, however, disappointing that you saw fit to launch an attack on me for speaking my piece. If, what you have stated here, were said by one the OH staff moderators, I might have to rethink this thread that I started.  You evidently did not see this message, I sent out, last night.  Happy Valentine's Day!

Most of you have probably seen this little video featuring the lovable little guy, Mo.  Even if ya have seen this, it's worth another look.  Ya just want to hug this neat little kid. Anyway, listen to Adam's response when Mo asks him if he's glad Trumbo's back in town.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/video/topic/7997010/v1221481283/os-fanfest-mos-os-report/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

29 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

I quite expected a few responses like this and that's okay.  I understand you are voicing YOUR opinion and I feel no ill will toward you.  I fully understand that some folks feel that, if you do not understand a concept, the easiest way to deal with it, is to eliminate it.  I do, sincerely, hope you enjoy some love today, on Valentine's Day.

How much does love go for on V Day in the Baltimore area these days?  Is it like flowers and triple the price on one day?    

I think a lot of what is being said here, ole buddy, is with tongue in cheek.  However, there is some underlying truth in the sarcastic comments.  Like seriously, I thought you must be indulging if this thread is even a discussion in your own head... ok well maybe not, but you see your opinion is not wildly thought of and for good reason.  What Jones has done for this team and community far outweighs what would bring back in a trade at least for now.  

8 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Openly expressing his true feelings has appeared to create a negative effect, in general, thus making it appear he has become  somewhat of a "malcontent".  We certainly can't have tension in the clubhouse.  I don't think he's the fun guy, leader anymore.  I think it hurts him that Machado, Schoop and Trumbo have emerged as more popular with the fans.  Hate to think that of the guy who has meant so much to this franchise.  Maybe he needs a change of scenery.  Maybe it's time to part ways with him, but to whom and for what?  Maybe Granderson, Wilmer Flores and one of their young arms, to be groomed as starter at Norfolk for next year?  Any other ideas?

I don't think much of what you say is based in reality. Who says all these things are true?

Archived